Question Computer Boots up only when connected to surge protector??

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Hey all, I have a very tricky issue.

My computer will not boot up unless it is connected to a surge protector and the surge protector is reset (turned off and back on again). Hear me out.

I noticed this about 8 months ago. Frankly, I think it was right after moving/driving my computer and gear across the country (not sure this is relevant). I have a pc/desktop that is nearly 5 years old which I ordered from Digital Storm. I've been very happy with it.

It's running right now; I'm typing on it. If I restart the computer, it works fine. However, if I power it down, like one normally would, it will not power back on. (alt+F4, shutdown) I have tried unplugging it, I've tried flipping the power switch on and off. I've tried plugging it into a different outlet. Nothing comes on, no lights, fans, etc. However, if I simply turn the switch off on the surge protector and back on again, the computer works fine. As a result, I typically keep it booted up for weeks at a time. No issues. I've contacted IT at Digital Storm and EVGA (psu). Nobody has a good answer. They suggested that I return the PSU and obtain another under warranty, which I did. I changed it out yesterday, along with the cables, but the computer does the same thing.

For reference, this is the surge protector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8K2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Although, how can it be an issue with the surge protector since the computer still does not boot up if I try a completely different outlet?

Also, probably 20% of the time when I actually turn the computer off, reset the surge protector, power the computer up, I will get an error saying that a surge was protected. I'm always able to bypass this screen and the computer again runs flawlessly. I expected this is related to the problem.

Again, computer runs flawlessly as long as I don't "shut down."

I figured you all would enjoy this good mystery. I certainly appreciate any help!

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Sounds like a mains issue. Bad ground, reversed poles, too much noise on the line, etc.

Quite possibly the latter since the strip can filter out a bit of the noise.

Hey thanks so much for your response. Btw, I literally have no idea what any of that means. :) Any of it easy to check? I'll share whatever info you have with people at Digital Storm...

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah. Digital Storm isn't going to tell you anything because the problem isn't with your PC. It's with your mains power. But say hi to them for me.

Check proper ground and polarity: https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Receptacle-Professional/dp/B000RUL2UU/

Noise tester: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Measuring-Instrument-Broadband-Analyzer/dp/B07PVYRFLX/

LOL thanks! But what do you mean "mains power?" Would that be like the power in my home? I live in an apartment building built in the last 5 years or so. I can't recall whether this problem started before or after moving into this specific apartment...

Really appreciate your time.

LOL thanks! But what do you mean "mains power?" Would that be like the power in my home? I live in an apartment building built in the last 5 years or so. I can't recall whether this problem started before or after moving into this specific apartment...

Really appreciate your time.
Mains. AKA, "the grid": https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity?wprov=sfla1

Doesn't matter how new the place is. The noise (EMI or RFI) can be introduced by something else that's on the same circuit.

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Update So I tried the computer on a nearby outlet... and it worked! However, I turned it off, plugged a new surge protector in and tried the computer again... Did NOT boot up. Even when I reset the new surge protector on the "new" outlet, it would not boot up. So I tried it with just the "new" outlet. Still no go.

I went and hooked it up to the original surge protector which is plugged into the original outlet. Would NOT power up. Then I reset the original surge protector, like I used to do... and it worked.

So I'm not sure if this deepens the mystery or affirms @jonnyguru 's suggestion.

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
"Nearby outlet" doesn't mean "different circuit". You need to be in a completely different room to test like kitchen, etc.

Got it. Will try that tomorrow. BTW- assuming your hunch is correct... is there an easy remedy? Hopefully that's something I could expect our building to do. Anyways, thanks for your patience.

Got it. Will try that tomorrow. BTW- assuming your hunch is correct... is there an easy remedy? Hopefully that's something I could expect our building to do. Anyways, thanks for your patience.

No. Because, like I said, the noise (EMI or RFI) can be introduced by something else that's on the same circuit.

Do you have something else in that room that uses a motor? A fan, an AC unit? Or maybe some old tech like a CRT tevision?

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
No. Because, like I said, the noise (EMI or RFI) can be introduced by something else that's on the same circuit.

Do you have something else in that room that uses a motor? A fan, an AC unit? Or maybe some old tech like a CRT tevision?

Wait a minute... dang- computer is literally right beside the ac/heating unit... If you're correct, that's likely the culprit. Other than that, there's a relatively new Sony tv, our Apple router, Apple TV, and my nice "gaming" monitor (pretty new). AC unit likely to be the culprit out of that I assume.

Assuming that is correct... I guess the remedy would be to move the computer? :(

Wait a minute... dang- computer is literally right beside the ac/heating unit... If you're correct, that's likely the culprit. Other than that, there's a relatively new Sony tv, our Apple router, Apple TV, and my nice "gaming" monitor (pretty new). AC unit likely to be the culprit out of that I assume.

Assuming that is correct... I guess the remedy would be to move the computer? :(

Umm... Yeah. It's the AC.

JdotWA

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Long Time Update: So I moved to another location... same issue. So it's gotta be with the pc... Anyone with any ideas? I'm actually thinking about selling it but would want to fix it before I did. Thanks!