Computer Boots up Weirdly But Then Works Fine

Dec 16, 2018
I just built my $2500 dollar pc about two weeks ago, and everything was fine, until it started to boot up oddly. My computer turns on, then off and back on. After this process it stays on and works completely fine. The weird startup process takes usually around 10 seconds. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew what the issue was, and if it’s causing harm to any of my pc components?

Pc specs:
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
MOBO: Z390 ROG
RAM: G skill 32g (2x16) 3200
PSU: 750 Watts
Cooling: Kraken 62

Solution
It almost sounds like your system is acting is if you've installed new hardware as this is typically what would happen with my old system if I cleared the CMOS. The first time I would start it up after doing this it would restart a couple times prior to first startup as the mobo rebuilt the hardware profile in CMOS. I would try changing a setting in the bios and see if the change holds after you power the system off and restart it. If it doesn't retain the changes it could be your CMOS battery is faulty or your reset jumper isn't configured properly. I also wonder what type of PSU you have as the only time I might get really concerned about a startup like that is if was happening with some off brand or 3rd rate psu. If you do have such...

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
It almost sounds like your system is acting is if you've installed new hardware as this is typically what would happen with my old system if I cleared the CMOS. The first time I would start it up after doing this it would restart a couple times prior to first startup as the mobo rebuilt the hardware profile in CMOS. I would try changing a setting in the bios and see if the change holds after you power the system off and restart it. If it doesn't retain the changes it could be your CMOS battery is faulty or your reset jumper isn't configured properly. I also wonder what type of PSU you have as the only time I might get really concerned about a startup like that is if was happening with some off brand or 3rd rate psu. If you do have such a psu I'd suggest replacing it with a top tier unit as top tier units can actually save your system in certain situations whereas a 3rd rate psu can totally trash your system. All that said I can't see how that startup behavior would actually damage anything. My current system has a 2 or 3 second delay when I press the power button before it powers up so unusual startups aren't that uncommon I suppose. I guess if all else fails you could try to update the bios, but if the system works fine otherwise I don't know that I'd risk bricking my board over something so minor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS