Computer Boots, Video On Some Boots, and No Video On Some Boots

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
On some boots, my computer boots successfully with video (I can see the hard drive LED blink). But, on some boots (mostly after not using the computer for hours), the computer still boots but there is no video. My computer has a discrete graphics card. What is going on?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB
Monitor: Acer H226HQL

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
My Seasonic 520W 80 Plus Bronze power supply is a bit too much for my computer. It definitely uses less than 350W. If it was a bad part on the MB, would it not work at all or would it suddenly stop working while using the computer? It only does this before POST until I press the restart button on the computer. It never lost video after POST.

Markkk

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
If your Not Gaming just Use on-board Video

But if you are Gaming disable the on-board Video and only use the GFX Card
Either there is a conflict of interest or your video card is taking too long to register in bios

Disable on-board Video - Select PCI-e as Primary Video
Refit Video Card
Make sure all power connections are properly connected to GFX Card

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014

In the BIOS, it already selected the Initial Display Output as PCIe Slot 1 (Which is what the GFX is connected to). All power connectors are connected properly to my graphics card.

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014

I updated my BIOS from F8 to F9 and now my computer would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. I loaded the configuration from F8 after updating. Please help!

Markkk

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
The loaded values from old bios settings are likely incompatible with your current bios update version
Reset your Bios - using the Short pin (refer Manual for location, or remove the bios Battery for a couple mins)

The Typical Steps used in Updating your Bios
1) Set Bios Values to Default
2) Update Bios
3) Select Default Values
4) Tweak any Settings as before

For me personally A bios update is a last resort most updates are very minor and not needed for most people, always read the update readme and follow any special instructions on update methods for your MB.

Most will follow the above steps (with the inclusion that if your updating by several versions they recommend doing so in steps ie update 2 update versions at a time not 5)

Andrew5

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014

Updating the BIOS actually solved the problem. I fixed the problem of the computer not starting up by removing the battery, shorting two pins, and reinserting the battery. Thank you for everything smorizo and Markkk.