[SOLVED] Computer boots with 3 ram but not 4

Mar 13, 2022
I just purchased 4 new ram sticks Amazon listing: (G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4 25600) DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Quad Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR) I tested all 4 ram sticks as well as each ram slots, none are faulty. Despite this, once I plug all 4 ram sticks in my computer boots, but my computer screen reports "no signal" and never loads up. The computer screen WILL however boot with 3 sticks installed, the configuration of which 3 slots are active seems to be irrelevant, it just refuses to load the display with all 4 sticks installed. I am at a loss.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GH
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GTX 1080ti
PSU wattage: 750
Motherboard: ASrock Z270 Taichi

Last edited:
Solution
Strange ram issues can be caused by a bent pin in the cpu socket.
That is all to easy to do if you needed to wiggle the cpu while installing it instead of a simple drop in.

Possibly, your motherboard has a bios update that addresses ram compatibility.

Before removing the cpu to check the pins, open up an incident with g.skil.

They may want you to run memtest first.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a...
Mar 13, 2022
Check the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module be placed in a specific slot.

Also: were the ram stick purchased as a matched set/kit? That is also important.
it boots fine with 3 sticks though, as that is how I am speaking to you now. But the 4th causes it to not POST

Strange ram issues can be caused by a bent pin in the cpu socket.
That is all to easy to do if you needed to wiggle the cpu while installing it instead of a simple drop in.

Possibly, your motherboard has a bios update that addresses ram compatibility.

Before removing the cpu to check the pins, open up an incident with g.skil.

They may want you to run memtest first.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you want, try increasing the ram voltage above the spec 1.35v.
Often that will make things work.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z270 Taichi.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Memory module installation is presented on physically numbered Page 19. I did not note any specific requirement to install the first RAM module in any specific slot.

Take a look at the DRAM configuration instructions beginning on Page 63. Double check everything.

Then look in BIOS and double check those settings.

Ralston18

Titan
Also, with all four RAM installed run the following cmdlet via Powershell as Admin:

Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PhysicalMemory

You can use Copy (CRTL C) and Paste CRTL V)

Compare the modules look for something that is completely different from the other three modules.

Sample results from my PC (just one of two modules):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PhysicalMemory

Caption : Physical Memory
Description : Physical Memory
InstallDate :
Name : Physical Memory
CreationClassName : Win32_PhysicalMemory
Manufacturer : 029E000080AD
Model :
OtherIdentifyingInfo :
PartNumber : CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
PoweredOn :
SerialNumber : 00000000
SKU :
Tag : Physical Memory 0
Version :
HotSwappable :
Removable :
Replaceable :
FormFactor : 8
BankLabel :
Capacity : 8589934592
DataWidth : 64
InterleavePosition : 1
MemoryType : 0
PositionInRow : 1
Speed : 2133
TotalWidth : 64
Attributes : 1
ConfiguredClockSpeed : 2133
ConfiguredVoltage : 1200
DeviceLocator : DIMM1
InterleaveDataDepth : 1
MaxVoltage : 0
MinVoltage : 0
SMBIOSMemoryType : 26
TypeDetail : 128
PSComputerName :

= = = =

Look for a missing DIMM.

Mar 13, 2022
Also, with all four RAM installed run the following cmdlet via Powershell as Admin:

Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PhysicalMemory

You can use Copy (CRTL C) and Paste CRTL V)

Compare the modules look for something that is completely different from the other three modules.

Sample results from my PC (just one of two modules):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PhysicalMemory

InstallDate :
Manufacturer : 029E000080AD
Model :
OtherIdentifyingInfo :
PartNumber : CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
PoweredOn :
SKU :
Version :
HotSwappable :
Removable :
Replaceable :
BankLabel :
Speed : 2133
ConfiguredClockSpeed : 2133
DeviceLocator : DIMM1
InterleaveDataDepth : 1
MaxVoltage : 0
MinVoltage : 0
PSComputerName :

= = = =

Look for a missing DIMM.
i am physically incapable of doing this, with 4 ram sticks installed the computer does not boot. The keyboard doesn't activate, the mouse doesn't respond, and the screen does not turn on.

Mar 13, 2022
This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z270 Taichi.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Memory module installation is presented on physically numbered Page 19. I did not note any specific requirement to install the first RAM module in any specific slot.

Take a look at the DRAM configuration instructions beginning on Page 63. Double check everything.

Then look in BIOS and double check those settings.
unfortunately the manual reads like rocket science to me. However I did notice that the 3 installed ram sticks were at 1.2 Volts but are rated for 1.35, I am not sure how to change this as it doesn't let me type in a new value of 1.35V

Mar 13, 2022
i have copied all the information I saw whilst looking at the DRAM configuring screen.

Jedec 1Jedec 2Jedec 3XMP 1XMP 2
freq2133186616003200blankManufact:G.Skill
Voltage1.21.21.21.35blankModule Size:8 GB
tCL15131116blankMax bandwith:PC4-170001067 mhz
tRCD15131118blankSPD EXTXMP 2.0
tRP15131118blank
tRAS36312738blank
tRFC374327280560blank
tRAD_L6558blank
tRRD_S4436blank
tFAW23201739blank
Additional note: I don't know how to change settings here, it says click a checkbox to change it, but all it does is put a blue dot next to it, I'm unable to input new values.

Ralston18

Titan
Where/how are you trying to change the voltage?

And the voltage should be left alone for the time being because with three of the four RAM sticks working I would not expect a voltage problem per se.

= = = =

Using three RAM sticks, boot the computer and use Safe mode if necessary.

Then try the Powershell cmdlet. Make sure that you can uniquely identify each ram stick and which slots are in use.

Mar 13, 2022
this is the information that shows up when i type that commend into powershell:

InstallDate :
Manufacturer : 04CD
Model :
OtherIdentifyingInfo :
PartNumber : F4-3200C16-8GTZR
PoweredOn :
SKU :
Version :
HotSwappable :
Removable :
Replaceable :
BankLabel : BANK 0
Speed : 1600
ConfiguredClockSpeed : 1600
DeviceLocator : ChannelA-DIMM0
InterleaveDataDepth : 2
MaxVoltage : 1200
MinVoltage : 1200
PSComputerName :

InstallDate :
Model :
OtherIdentifyingInfo :
PoweredOn :
SKU :
Tag : Physical Memory 2
Version :
HotSwappable :
Removable :
Replaceable :
BankLabel : BANK 2
InterleavePosition : 2
DeviceLocator : ChannelB-DIMM0
InterleaveDataDepth : 2
PSComputerName :

InstallDate :
Model :
OtherIdentifyingInfo :
PoweredOn :
SKU :
Tag : Physical Memory 3
Version :
HotSwappable :
Removable :
Replaceable :
BankLabel : BANK 3
InterleavePosition : 0
DeviceLocator : ChannelB-DIMM1
InterleaveDataDepth : 0
PSComputerName :

Ralston18

Titan
What is the status of the XMP switch per the User Manual on Page 28?

Have you made any related changes?

Do you see the clear CMOS Switch per Page 28 or the Clear CMOS jumper per Pages 8 and 9?

Have you tried or attempted clearing CMOS?

No immediate need to do so. However the table in your post #10 is not as I would expect.

Nothing immediately astray with respect to the Powershell results other than listing only three sticks which is expected.

And those three RAM sticks are indeed installed in:

DeviceLocator : ChannelA-DIMM0

DeviceLocator : ChannelB-DIMM0
DeviceLocator : ChannelB-DIMM1

Overall, I believe that the CMOS should be cleared and that a do over is necessary to sort it out.

Hopefully someone else will take a look and find some error of omission or commission on my part.

In the meantime, I will request additional assistance anyway.

Mar 13, 2022
Would clearing the CMOS cause problems for my computer? would it cause any ill effects? would I be incapable of rebooting my PC? this is the only machine I have access to so I cannot risk my PC not booting.

Ralston18

Titan
Clearing CMOS

Generally straightforward and easy to do and should be done in accordance with the motherboard's User Manual.

FYI:

https://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Lifewire - Clearing CMOS

The system should reboot but will be using factory defaults when it does. However, full disclosure, there is always some risk of a problem occurring. Problems can occur no matter what you do or try: new installs, uninstalls, registry editing (DO NOT DO), and clearing CMOS as well.

Be sure, as you should always be doing, that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the current host computer. Ensure that the data is both recoverable and readable.

Reading back:

All four memory sticks are known to work - correct?

And all four memory slots are known to work - correct?

The basic problem being that any combination of all four RAM sticks/slots results in only three RAM sticks "working" - correct?

The objective being to get all four RAM sticks to become fully functional.

= = = =

Turn off all power savers and any overclocking settings.

Per @geofelt (Post #5) run memtest just as a double check for all of the RAM sticks.

Also, at some point install the RAM stick left out (when the Powershell cmdlet was first run) in place of the RAM stick that is shown as being in ChannelA-DIMM0 . Run Powershell again so we can see if that RAM stick is somehow different than the other three. I expect not - no harm in being sure.

It may come down to Clearing CMOS. The numbers/configuration shown in the DRAM configuration screen (Post #10) shows four RAM stick configurations 3 of the 4 are "identical" but there is that "odd man out" XMP 1". But the freqs are all different as well.

Not what I would expect and I do not now how to get it all working again if the configuration screens are preventing you from entering new values.

That is how I view and understand the current problem(s). All in all I think clearing is what needs to be done.

Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions that may help without the need to clear CMOS.

Not likely.
Clearing cmos resets the bios to what it was when the board came from the store.
You should always be able to get into the bios to make any changes that are needed.
If, for example, you had previously selected "secure boot", that would allow you to only boot with the exact hardware that was present when the OS was installed.
Selecting fast boot would only reload the last successful boot contents.
disabling causes windows to load contents one at a time which it will need to do for updates.

Before you clear cmos, look through for any settings that you might have changed.
Take a picture of what you have in case you miss something.

The idea behind clearing cmos is to get rid of problematic settings that might have been inadvertently selected.

Keep in mind that your problem here is a mechanical one, namely how to get all 4 sticks to work.
It should have no bearing on the windows you are using.
I would not be patching the registry unless you know what you are doing.
And, if I were to need to, I would first take a system restore user checkpoint so I could recover if I made a mistake.

Your cpu/mobo are capable of overclocking.
If you are overclocking, reset that first.
If you have selected xmp, reset that to use default settings.
Clearing cmos should reset all.

If all 4 sticks do not work, then:
The the ram is defective;
You have a defective motherboard;
Or you have a bent pin in the cpu socket.

Test each stick individually using memtest. Just starting memtest for a few minutes and getting NO errors will suggest that the sticks are individually ok.
Use the slot that your motherboard designates to use with only one ram stick.

Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: Ralston18
Mar 13, 2022
Clearing CMOS

Generally straightforward and easy to do and should be done in accordance with the motherboard's User Manual.

FYI:

https://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Lifewire - Clearing CMOS

The system should reboot but will be using factory defaults when it does. However, full disclosure, there is always some risk of a problem occurring. Problems can occur no matter what you do or try: new installs, uninstalls, registry editing (DO NOT DO), and clearing CMOS as well.

Be sure, as you should always be doing, that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the current host computer. Ensure that the data is both recoverable and readable.

Reading back:

All four memory sticks are known to work - correct?

And all four memory slots are known to work - correct?

The basic problem being that any combination of all four RAM sticks/slots results in only three RAM sticks "working" - correct?

The objective being to get all four RAM sticks to become fully functional.

= = = =

Turn off all power savers and any overclocking settings.

Per @geofelt (Post #5) run memtest just as a double check for all of the RAM sticks.

Also, at some point install the RAM stick left out (when the Powershell cmdlet was first run) in place of the RAM stick that is shown as being in ChannelA-DIMM0 . Run Powershell again so we can see if that RAM stick is somehow different than the other three. I expect not - no harm in being sure.

It may come down to Clearing CMOS. The numbers/configuration shown in the DRAM configuration screen (Post #10) shows four RAM stick configurations 3 of the 4 are "identical" but there is that "odd man out" XMP 1". But the freqs are all different as well.

Not what I would expect and I do not now how to get it all working again if the configuration screens are preventing you from entering new values.

That is how I view and understand the current problem(s). All in all I think clearing is what needs to be done.

Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions that may help without the need to clear CMOS.

No, three ram sticks INSTALLED work. Four ram sticks installed causes the computer to not POST (no signal on screen, no response on keyboard/mouse)

Stick in 1 stick of ram and boot to the bios, set XMP profile then shut down. Place all 4 sticks in and boot up, im guessing that the ram running at 1.2v is not enough and it is needing 1.35 which the XMP profile will setup for you.

If that doesnt work i would take the sticks back and get a 2x16GB kit, running 4 stick of ram puts more stress on the memory controller which you might have to run higher Dram voltage or play with the PLL voltage.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022
Alright after nothing working and a massive headache, I've elected to return these ram cards and just go with 2 higher capacity cards. Thanks for all of the help. If a moderator could close this thread or whatever you do that would be great.