[SOLVED] Computer Boots Without Graphics Card - GTX 1080

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Hello,

I have installed my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 into my motherboard and have connected it to a CIT Active 85 500W PSU. When I boot my PC and have the HDMI in the GPU, nothing appears on screen but if I connect it to the PC HDMI, the PC works as usual. There is no sign that the GPU is working whatsoever as the fans don't spin at all but the rest of the computer is functional. The GPU is connected to the PSU via a 6+2 cable.

I have 3 other overclocked GTX 1080's which all require 2 leads, 6+2 pin & 6 pin, when the PSU only has 1x 6+2 pin which would probably explain why the overclocked GPU's aren't working, right?

Yes the PSU is obviously functional as the PC does turn on.

Yes the GPU is definitely connected properly to the motherboard.

And yes the PCIE slot is functional as when I plug in a GTX 1060, it works.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
Alyan

Solution

Then that is evidence that the problematic graphics card is indeed defective.

From your post I though you had a multi GPU system. Mining rigs are like that.

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

The rest of the PC works, meaning the PSU is working. Are you saying a potential fault is causing the PSU to not supply power to the GPU only?

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Without making any changes to the BIOS, plugging in a GTX 1060 works.

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Sorry for the confusion but the motherboard only has 1 slot. So when I install the 1060, it works and then when I replace it with the 1080, it doesn't. They were both connected to the exact same slot.

Then that is evidence that the problematic graphics card is indeed defective.

From your post I though you had a multi GPU system. Mining rigs are like that.

Solution

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Could it be a problem with the PSU?

I have 3 other overclocked GTX 1080's which all require 2 leads, 6+2 pin & 6 pin, when the PSU only has 1x 6+2 pin which would probably explain why the overclocked GPU's aren't working, right?

It depends. The GPU may work normally until it needs the extra power at which time it probably crash. The other possibility is that the GPU detects that the PCIE cable isn't installed and doesn't work at all.

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

So it is possible to temporarily run an overclocked GTX 1080 with just 1x 6+2 lead until it requires extra power? Does my PSU (CiT Active 85) supply enough power even for a normal GTX 1080. It certainly does for a GTX 1060...

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Is that for definite? Definitely because the PSU isn't supplying enough power to the GPU specifically?

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
From what I have gathered, the problem is one of the following:

GPU Defective
Not enough power supplied from the PSU to the GTX 1080

I could eliminate the chance of it being the 2nd problem by testing it with a different PSU, after which if it still doesn't work, it must be a faulty GPU.

That's probably about it, right? Can't really be anything else...

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 3hibajanoo3 : "i3 2120 with GTX 1080"

The GTX 1080 has a system requirement of 500 watts. But I've never heard of that power supply, and that says something about the PSU quality (I've been doing this for quite a while).

But CiT 500W (from your description) should power the GTX1080.

alyan_saleem

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Alright. I'll look into buying a new PSU soon.

Thanks everyone for their help.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from alyan_saleem : "Asus Strix GTX 1080 No HDMI Output But Fan Spinning & LED's On"

complete specs? new build? did it ever work?

Sep 23, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 3hibajanoo3 : "GTX 1080 not working."

Hi, I have a dell MIH61R MB 10097-1 with an I3-2120. My 1080 asus strix gpu's rgb work (Powered by the pcie slot), but seems like no psu energy is detected as system directly boots into my integrated gpu. Could it be that my mobo doesnt support 8+6pin 1080s, as my 6 pin 1060 worked fine, what i think this is for is for energy overflow but i just dont know. Or something with my CPU being i3 2120 and not really meant to be with a 1080 hence pcie lane shortages etc. It's not a psu issue, ive used 3 psus so far to test this, or OS issue/Driver, tried multiple again. All it can be in my eyes is hardware support
Any suggestions will be appreciated! But I am no longer wanting to spend more money for testing.