Computer Bricked after updating Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 drivers in app center.

cwb50

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Motherboard bricked after installing bios updates through the gigabyte app center today. Literally won't boot at all, like does not even trigger monitors. I tried clearing cmos, but no help. All my parts are below, open to some suggestions.

Since I think the prime suspect is the mobo, it is a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kRwnkT

If the model is correct you have backup bios,
Method #1:
1. Shut your PC down (if you're reading this guide, than your PC isn't working anyways)
2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.

Method #2:
1. Shut your PC down
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

cwb50

Reputable
May 22, 2014
So I tried resetting BIOS as suggested above, no cigar. I decided to try to rotate my RAM, and now my computer at least loads to BIOS. When it does it freezes after I try to reset, safe start, restart, anything. And if it shuts down or I have to shut it down, then I have to rotate the RAM again. I decided to try and install a fresh OS. So I unplugged my SSD and inserted a fresh thumbdrive. Installing Unbuntu led to an immediate error and freeze, Windows 10 freezes on the initial setup screen.

Is this indicative symptoms of any obvious issue?

No, that answer that i wrote is backup bios since your mobo has it.

Method 3
Only use this if nothing else works.

Short out pins 1 and 6 on the main BIOS chip by attaching a jumper to both the pins (pin #1 should be marked with a red dot or whatever)
Tell a friend to press the power on button while you do this because right now you are holding the jumper on the pins
Remove the jumper you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
Backup BIOS should boot now.
Do this last!!!!!!!!!

If the mobo boots and you can launch dos, you could reflash bios via dos,
Here 's guide,

https://youtu.be/WJ6yqMLcW2E
Which i used for my 775dual-vsta
Bear in mind that you could actually totally brick bios.

You download your bios per usual on official site of the mobo, dont use beta bios.
Extract it, make bootable dos usb, thrn transfer your files onto root of usb.
Then disconnect every hdd from mobo, and if you can select to boot off the usb,

Command lines are in video.

Wait a moment till i read manual,

Which revision is it? It should be written on bottom left corner of motherboard, I need it and you also need it, thats why it might got semi bricked.