Mar 13, 2020
please can you dumb all your answer WAY down

My boyfriend has a gaming computer which he has had for a while but not used. Now i have been trying to turn this on for hours now but it just shows a picture of the windows logo and a loading circle which just keeps going around

im not sure what computer it is but it says cooler master, cyber power pc on the front and there is a see-through window on the side of the pc tower and a box on the inside which says MSI GTX 960

i just dont know how to fix this if it doesnt even turn on?

Solution
When i turned it off then back on again it went to a screen where it said MSI in big letters then straight to the loading screen, there was no other screen, i tried pressing F2 and delete anyway but nothing happened.
sorry im pretty useless with this stuff, i cant even work out how to post a picture on here 🤯

Looking it up, in general, says the 'delete' key is the go to BIOS command in 90% of MSI boards. The other is F2.

When you turn the computer on just hit delete over and over as it boots up and it should go from the "MSI" screen to a BIOS screen which will have very much information, tabs, etc. In your case, look to see if there is an easy mode key on that first screen. It should tell you the CPU, how much memory, might...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Awright, so....with it turning on and spinning a Windows logo is typically a sign that something is wrong on the OS level. It may or may not exist at the hardware level. IE Windows is likely messed up, not the computer.

Will the computer power down and back up? If so when you power it up do you get a "splash screen" before the Windows flag comes up and the spinning wheel?
If it shows splash screen try hitting either F2 or Delete (sometimes the correct button will show on that splash screen) just as soon as you see activity and boot to BIOS. There should be a screen there that will show information about the system.

If this is on Windows 10 then you should be able to just download the installer onto USB and re-install Windows. If it's an older OS it can get a bit more tricky....

See what you can do about BIOS first. Tell us any info you see there, or post a pic.

Mar 13, 2020
When i turned it off then back on again it went to a screen where it said MSI in big letters then straight to the loading screen, there was no other screen, i tried pressing F2 and delete anyway but nothing happened.
sorry im pretty useless with this stuff, i cant even work out how to post a picture on here 🤯

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Looking it up, in general, says the 'delete' key is the go to BIOS command in 90% of MSI boards. The other is F2.

When you turn the computer on just hit delete over and over as it boots up and it should go from the "MSI" screen to a BIOS screen which will have very much information, tabs, etc. In your case, look to see if there is an easy mode key on that first screen. It should tell you the CPU, how much memory, might even have drive info. Basically just to see.
If it sees all that in BIOS we can further made assumptions that on the hardware level it's at least working well enough to be recogized.

From there what I might recommend is trying to boot into safe mode. You may have to look up how to do so concerning your specific MSI motherboard, but it will tell you on that splash screen if you are quick enough to read it. If it will boot in safe mode you can try "startup repair" to see if it will fix itself.

If you can't boot safe mode or repair doesn't work, try downloading and creating a Windows 10 install disk. Keep in mind that if you go through the install process you will wipe all information on the drive. If you didn't previously have Windows 10 you will need a license. If you already had Win 10 it will activate itself.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS