Computer BSOD after coming out of sleep mode.

zapzapper

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
Almost Every time I wake my desktop computer up from sleep mode, I get a blue screen of death. I am running windows 8.1 and my pc specs are:

MB: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-9590
RAM: 8GB
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Ca
GRAPHIC: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100361VXSR Radeon R9 290X

I'm not sure what to do about this. I've tried updating my drivers, and as far as I know, they are all up to date. I read that it would be a good Idea to run the windows driver verifier, so I enabled it. This caused 5 BSODs within 20 minutes, all of which were the same error (AsUpIO.SYS). The dump files can be downloaded using the link below. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dump files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/013j0261l8g969d/The+Dump+Files.zip

Solution
I know this post is older, but thought I would post the fix/workaround that I found since I recently purchased a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and was running into the same exact issue with BSOD when waking from sleep.

The cause here is the ASmedia SATA Controller that is enabled by default onboard. At first, I had my main SSD Sata boot drive connected to the blue SATA controllers on the motherboard which are the 2 ASmedia SATA controllers. Via process of elimination, I finally decided to MOVE my main SSD boot drive to the other white colored SATA ports (AMD SB Controller) and I completely disabled the ASmedia chip in the bios. My computer wakes up from sleep without any issues now. Therefore, unless you have a need for more than 5 SATA...
you have windows driver verifier.exe running and it found a device driver that has a bug and it calls a bugcheck each time that driver runs and makes its mistake. it will do this until you remove the driver or turn verifier.exe flags off.

Image path: \SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsUpIO.sys
Image name: AsUpIO.sys Timestamp: Mon Aug 02 19:47:59 2010

I think this driver is a common source of memory corruption on systems where it is loaded. If that is what you were trying to find.

ghempel70

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
I know this post is older, but thought I would post the fix/workaround that I found since I recently purchased a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and was running into the same exact issue with BSOD when waking from sleep.

The cause here is the ASmedia SATA Controller that is enabled by default onboard. At first, I had my main SSD Sata boot drive connected to the blue SATA controllers on the motherboard which are the 2 ASmedia SATA controllers. Via process of elimination, I finally decided to MOVE my main SSD boot drive to the other white colored SATA ports (AMD SB Controller) and I completely disabled the ASmedia chip in the bios. My computer wakes up from sleep without any issues now. Therefore, unless you have a need for more than 5 SATA ports which the AMD SB950 SB Controller support, there is not much loss here. I am still annoyed that there are no driver or BIOS updates to fix this (when you purchase something, all components should work properly!) but overall it doesn't affect my setup.

I hope this helps someone else who's at wit's end trying to figure out why thier ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 setup is BSOD when waking up from sleep mode!

Solution
yest this is the most likely solution to the sleep mode problem. I only looked at thememory dump that had verifier.exe doing checks of the drivers on the system. Verifier will call a bugcheck on the first driver that makes a mistake. It may not be the find the problem that the person was looking for. With verifier you just have to fix the problem, reboot and try again until it finds another problem, fix the new problem and try again.

Sleep problems are very common with the drivers for secondary SATA controller drivers. Any driver that is not pushed out via microsoft windows update would make the suspect list of drivers.