Computer BSODs after waking up from sleep.

The Oscillat0r

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hey Tom's Hardware, just a general bsod problem here. Recently I built a computer for my friend. After running it through some typical diagnostics, I concluded that it was fine. Two days later he called me and told me that the PSU was making weird noises. That's when his first BSOD happened. It was pretty obvious that the PSU was done, and he RMA'd it back. When the new one came back it was working fine, but after a few days he called me again and said that it was BSOD'ing a lot. I checked it out and it seemed to happen a few minutes after waking up from sleep mode. It happened every time. At first I thought it could have been a hard drive problem so he RMA'd that. When the new one came back it was the same story.

I tried running each stick of RAM through a memtest and they didn't produce any errors. Is this a motherboard problem? Reinstalling Windows doesn't help. He has all of the newest drivers, and I updated his BIOS.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi the oscillat0r, not sure but you may want to check which ACPI setting is being used in bios ACPI S1,S2, S3 etc.

Found this brief article: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30124-bios-settings-s1-s3-hybrid-sleep.html ; which briefly :-/ explains the various settings in bios and what they do.

You may then want to check what power saving features are enabled by default in your windows 7 setup :
Goto - start, control panel, system and security, power options. you should have some advanced power options here as well.

You may want to test out any changes to power options in bios, especially S3 ( suspend to ram ) and S4 ( suspend to disk ) with each individual stick of memory just to make sure they are not the problem.

When i had a pc, normally i would always set the bios to either S1 or S2, since most of my playing with S3 and S4 ( was using the Win 7 initial download for testing ) resulted in the type of system instability you have reported here.

It would also be helpful if we knew what hardware exactly was being used in pc, just in case a particular piece has a known issue like this.

Read the thread above, then check in bios and windows to see what settings are being used, you will then have a better idea of problem area and will make your next question better focused.

Of course, it may be a individual piece of hardware, memory, cpu, graphics card which is causing this problem.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Since the re-install didn't helped, I think its somewhere in the hardware. Also, when Memtest was run, did u try the memory slots that memory resides originally in?

Can u post system set up info?

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi The Oscillat0r, get your friend to try just 4Gb of ram and put pc into sleep mode, change settings in power options so don't have to wait ages!!!

If same problem, swap out ram for another 4Gb and try again, and repeat with last 4Gb.

This way, you can isolate ram modules and test ( in pairs? ). Its possible that when the psu died, it COULD HAVE damaged the motherboard, or the memory. Try the ram and see how you get on, and which ACPI settings are being used in bios as well?

good luck :)

PS, after trying Ram, try in different set of slots to ensure that they are not the problem, the above noted possibility of motherboard being damaged when PSU died could cause just some slots to be defective, which is why with 12Gb (populating all slots ? ) the system instability waking from sleep is consistent.