Computer BSODs, freezes / locks up

Apr 14, 2018
[THIS THREAD IS SOLVED, READ THE BOTTOM]

Hey I installed a CPU quite a long while ago which is the FX-8320,
I also installed a new motherboard along with it which was the MSI 970 Gaming.

I don't know but I could've done something wrong, plugged in the wrong cables but regardless when starting, I get hit with several bsods and programs stop working since my RAM just completely stops working and gives up.

So I got into my BIOs settings and turned down the Dram frequency from 1600 MHz to 1333 MHz
and my computer started working smoothly again, with a small performance loss of course.

Does anybody of you PC experts know what causes the sudden crashes and why my ram stops working completely?

If so please tell me how to fix it so I can get my ram back up to 1600 Mhz as it's supposed to be!
Thanks.

Solution

Oh I've tried that many times with both sticks seperately, still doesnt stop the computer from completely freezing. :/

Could you post yours system components?
Have you tried to reset the BIOS to restore the default settings.
Which profile (XMP or AMP) are you using for RAM?

Apr 14, 2018

I've got
FX-8320 3.50 GHz (stock)
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon R9 380x 4Gb nitro
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

When looking at bios settings it says XMP is enabled
so I'm guessing it's just the default profile.

I'll check again and update you

Apr 14, 2018

I checked my BIOS overlocking profile again and it says that XMP is enabled, there is no other option for AMP I think.
And on a note, maybe,
Dram voltage is set to 1.496, maybe I should lower that? Don't know if it's the default values or not.

As far as I know 1.5 volts is quite normal for DDR3.
Update the BIOS if you haven't then reset the BIOS to default.

Apr 14, 2018

Updated my bios and greeted by a kind BSOD at start, I'm at 1600 Mhz now but I'll update again if computer crashes.

Apr 14, 2018

I've gotten well over 3K events happening simultaneously so I'll point out the ones that stand out, which was nothing particular, only critical errors that had ID 41 which refered to my computer being shut down unexpectedly. And that's basically it, other errors were refering to my computer not having rights to to run certain services, etc. And most of the errors had the same IDs aswell.

I had to get it to 1333 Mhz again to write this reply since whenever i start google on 1600 Mhz I get hit with the bsod MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, which is strange. I've tested my ram before and it works completely fine otherwise.

How did you test the RAM?
Did you use Memtest86+
Is that a RAM kit? One stick?
Unreliable and faulty RAM can cause a multitude of unexplained issues and the symptoms random and hard to pinpoint.

Apr 14, 2018

I've got 2 ram sticks, 8 gb, 16 gb ram total.
I tested my ram before in the windows startscreen, and it comes out with no errors.
I'll try memtest86 in a bit. :)

Is that a RAM kit from a set or you got two separate sticks.
Windows memory tester is not that reliable.
Run Memtest for 7-8 passes

maxxan10

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
It's me maxxan02 but from another account, I had some troubles logging in.

So I ran a newer version of memtest for 2 passes (out of 4) and couldnt be bothered since it took me a day to get there. But I got no errors.

now I looked up the both ram sticks I've got and they're both called ballistix sport 16gb ddr3 1600mhz (two sticks)
I looked on reviews and on some sites they said it worked great and some they said the ram sticks just dies after one or two months..

my computer has gotten worse and is now just freezing up 5 or 7 times a day.
I'm probably gonna render it down to bad ram sticks but any help on solving the problem another way would be appreciated!

maxxan10

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Oh I've tried that many times with both sticks seperately, still doesnt stop the computer from completely freezing. :/

Solution
Apr 14, 2018
Managed to get back into my account (was something weird with the servers)

I think I managed to fix the problem.

First of all, one of my ram memories was corrupt/bad and I dont know which one is actually good but I will test that later on.
(also on a note, I reinstalled my operating system but that didnt seem to fix the freezing)

So, I got to borrow my friends ram and the computer started, blue screens stopped, but it still didn't stopped it from freezing/locking up, requiring me to restart. So in an attempt and research to fix the problem I heard that maybe my components could be loose which could make the system to freeze.
So I opened the computer, and also took the oppurtuninity to clean off a bunch of dust too.

When taking out the graphics card to clean it I could see that some small capacitors were a bit loose and turned a little bit sideways, so I gently nudged them back into place to be symmetrycal to one another.
Then I put the graphics card back in again and cleaned the rest of the dust from the computer.

When plugging on the computer again it doesnt seem to crash, lockup, or freeze anymore.
I don't know if this did fix it in the long run, but I seem to be able to watch youtube, play games, etc normally from now, crash free!.

I'm gonna mark this thread as solved and thank you to everyone who participated in trying to solve my problem :)

(I'll also try to get my hands on a new stick of ram when I get the money for it.)

Latest posts