[SOLVED] Computer BSODs with 'CRITICAL PROCESS DIED' Whenever trying to download large files.

Vezium

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Hello,

See my specs below :-

Intel core i7-7700k
ASUS Z-170A Motherboard
16GB Ballistix sport 2400Mhz RAM
2 x 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD (I think it's 850)
GTX 1080-TI
EVGA 1000W Platinum

I'm having some issues downloading large files. Everything else runs fine on my computer, installations are okay, file movement is okay although I have neglected the SSD's so wear and tear, possibility these are causing the issue. I know I should be running HDDs for bulk storage, but I haven't.

Whenever I try to download (not install) big files, such as large games, about 10GB or so into the download, my PC crashes, without fail. It doesn't matter what drive I try to install it on, which makes me think this could be a RAM issue. I must also mention I've tried to overclock before a while back by adjusting some BIOS settings and the X.M.P. profile, but tinkering with this made my PC crash when I tried to update the BIOS in order to enable the ability to overclock, so I just didn't bother.

I've run a dskchk and no errors there, run Memtest x86 but gave up on test 14 as it was running for 40 minutes and I'm impatient (test had no issues up to that point), tried downloading in safe-mode-with-networking and still the same issue, installed network drivers for my mobo, same issue. Refreshed windows, same issue, but haven't done a fully clean install.

I'm just looking for advice on what to do next, whether I should maybe leave memtest running overnight, perform a totally clean install, or do anything else in which I can try to figure out what's causing the crash.

Oh, I found some stuff online where people were having issues with high network speed downloads, and I thought this could be linked, however it has happened on 3 unique connections that I've been on. with varying speeds, one of which is my current (900Mbps) another one at around 380Mbps and not sure what the other one, maybe around 150.
All advice appreciated. Let me know if any more info is needed.

Kind Regards

Posting a link to a dmp file may be helpful to see what is crashing

Without that, some things to try:

Any and all programs which "enhance" your internet connection , try uninstalling. Run bare Intel network controller driver only.

Any background processes using the internet, disable.

Setup a Clean Boot Environment and try performing one of those large downloads. If stable, it's one of your loaded non-MS programs.
Information of Clean Booting can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows#method1

Disable the hibernation system.

Setup your power management to disable drive sleeping.

NOT running RAID, correct?

How full are your drives?

Last edited:

Vezium

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, there are no dmp files on my C drive, minidumps or normal dumps. I forgot to mention in the post, that when it BSOD's, the computer completely locks up and I'm forced to hold down power to restart - which I would presume is the reason why.

I have no network enhancing programs, only the basic drivers - I refreshed my PC so I've only got a couple of programs installed. Disabled all background processes, performed a clean boot, disabled hibernation in the command prompt but I don't think it was enabled, tried to install and cut out again around 6GB into the download.

Disabled drive sleeping. Not running RAID. C drive has 379GB free of 465, and D drive has 217 GB free of 465.

I'm going to back up files and perform a full reinstallation of windows, and see if this helps also. I will also try and download to the D drive again after clean install to see if any joy.

Cheers

EDIT: Clean installed windows to C. Tried to install straight away to D, then the drive disappeared half way through the installation. Tried to install to C after that, same BSOD as before ‘CRITICAL PROCESS DIED’

Restarted, tried to install to D, got BSOD but different error this time ‘KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR’. Restarted. Started typing this comment out on on my browser, then I got a message “windows encountered an error. Your PC will restart in 1 minute. Save your files’ etc. I couldn’t close that pop up before my system slowed, laggy mouse movements and another BSOD.

Tried to boot and it failed to boot to windows several times. At this point I feel like one or both of my drives are dead. Booted again 10 minutes later, and it booted. Tried to comment this again, and same thing happened but it crashed without any error message in windows before reaching BSOD. So I typed this comment out on my phone.

EDIT 2: Tried another boot and now everything works fine. Seems quite temperamental. Installed 1 small game and it’s running fine too. No crashes as of yet. Not sure what to do next.

Last edited:

Vezium

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Installed the magician software, and my drives are in good health according to it. However, my firmware was outdated. Nonetheless I updated the firmware and ran a performance test on both drives. Restarted, tried the install on C, and it installed the remaining 60GB without an issue! Hurray!

Must've just needed a firmware update! Can't believe I didn't know that software existed. Thanks so much for the help, I'll return if it happens again when installing more files.