Computer Build - compatible components/advice

acehigh0111

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Ok, so I'm finally (after probably 15 years) actually going to buckle down and build my own computer. I figure desktops are really starting to phase out and it's time to build a system that will actually last years. (current "newest" computer is about 8yr old desktop tech - and is a laptop). Anyways, I need a computer to fulfill my uses/future uses. I'm familiar with how computers work in "theory", but haven't been able to keep up with technology in quite some time. I don't have time for serious gaming, but I do like to play a game from time to time. This has been unreachable for me in the PC world in quite some time. Being able to max out settings would be nice. But I am not necessarily building a "gaming" computer, but seems like the build type for the most part.

I'm currently remodeling a home entirely and have installed structured media wire in several rooms with a main hub enclosure in the basement. (so far have only got the wiring in). The cable has 2cat5e, 2rg6, and 2 fiber optic. I have not quite figured out how I'm going to run my network, but my main priority is to make use of the fiber optics involved. I've never seen a "fiber optic" input on a computer for either audio/video or internet. I've googled some cross over devices but am concerned about loss of transfer speed in conversion. Maybe you all would be able to shed some light on this.

I'm running this system for several reasons...hopefully I can fulfill... I want a fully integrated home system, complete with security, energy/water management, lighting, thermostat, etc. along with networking capabilities of remote access, shared storage, multimedia, etc (along with storage and editing of video). A lot of this will be software integration, decision of home automation systems, and I'm sure I'll need to build a server here soon too.... but the idea here is "ONE RING TO CONTROL THEM ALL"... maybe I'm trying overkill here and should just run separate systems networked together, but you get the idea I'm sure.... so here is the build and cost
All from NEWEGG

Thermaltake Core V71 Extreme Full Tower Chassis, Compatible With Extreme Liquid Cooling Builds (CA-1B6-00F1WN-00) $159.99

Samsung S27D590C Black 27” Curved LED Monitor 4ms (GTG) HDMI LED-Lit VA Panel 300cd/m2 Dual Stereo Speakers w/ Game Mode ...$379.99

WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $74.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2966-KR GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video ... $209.99

CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply $129.99

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K4G4D240FSA $109.99

ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $249.99

Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75820K $389.99

Cooler Master Seidon 120M – All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 120mm Radiator and Fan $64.99

Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-2209 $79.99

Corsair Neutron XT CSSD-N240GBXT 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $149.99

Keyboards, Mice & Input Black Jazz X5 Diablo enhanced gaming keyboard backlit Wired Keyboard USB Waterproof Keyboard $46.99

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM $139.99

So I think that is the list. My priority with the build was building on the LGA 2011-v3 socket. As far as which x99 motherboard to choose... I went with what looked like best reviewed and from ASUS. I've always heard good reviews about them, but then again I may be a few years outdated in that department. I wouldn't mind spending maybe $100 more on a better motherboard if needed. The video card choice was ideally 3 GeForce 980's. However, due to pricing it's something I can buy later so I went with the 960 so that I can buy 2 more within a reasonable amount of time. Same idea with RAM. DDR4 is expensive right now so I think I could get away with 8gb for now.

As far as case....oh my... too many options. I chose the case because it was the most purchased along with the motherboard and it looked like a good one. Didn't want to go over the top on the case, but I don't know.

For cooling.... I went with the cheap liquid cooling system. It looked easy-ish to install, and should be better than air right? Do I have enough cooling in this dept.?

Power supply.... I think I dun did good on that one.

For storage. I miss when the only option was just how many gigs. I'm not quite sure about the m2 storage, hybrids scare me, and a single HDD is outdated. So I went with a 256g regular SSD and a 1tb black HDD for now. I was debating on black vs red because of the reds capabilities with a NAS system, but stopped when I started getting confused and I can always swap out later.

For the monitor... I want 27-28 inch, curved, and right around that price range so that probably after income tax I can afford another 2. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. 4k? eh not yet... :(

Keyboard/mice - I surprisingly don't really have anything laying around. I'll get what I really want in the future but I wanted something WIRED and MECHANICAL. Any good picks around that price range?

WINDOWS 8.1 - I can't believe I put that on the list... not a fan of 8.1, but 10 will hopefully come out soon and comes with a free upgrade.

Additional software - never purchased antivirus/security in my life.... always backup/reformatted my problems and didn't want to create more with the implied virus they crush you with... any thoughts?

Also, what type(s) of thermal paste/compound will I need and what kind should I get. I've watched some build videos awhile back and have one playing while I write this, but didn't listen in.

Am I going to need anything else? My budget is around 2-2.5k and right now I'm at 2.1. I really was hoping I would get around 15-1800 when I started this build, but things change..... However, before I click the purchase button in my shopping cart, what do you guys think AND could I get better prices elsewhere? Any thoughts/input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Foxstar01

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Okay firstly, welcome to world of DIY computer building :D

Your component list definitely falls into the overkill section, but having said that I'd be tempted to increase your processor to something more powerful than 3.3ghz; especially if you're wanting to control the entire house network.

In regards to the Optical side of things, it is possible but you'd have to make sure that the entire network is singing from the same hymn sheet; otherwise data transfer could be the least of your problems (Think HAL).

From past experience of fitting Optical networks together for both the civilian and military sectors, it is possible to make your house run entirely off an optical network. What I would recommend would be prior to actually attempting it, sitting down with a pen and paper and map out the system priorities e.g required network speed, usage. This way you should be able to see what needs to be in what order (Data/ speed loss on a optic network increases the further down the line it is). I'd probably be looking at the Computer followed by household systems, then smaller stuff like phones, TV etc.

Budget wise, I think you're close to what you need unless you live in a mansion or something..

Hope this helps, without seeing a clear list of what will be on the network it's hard to offer finite advice.

acehigh0111

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
I wasn't as concerned with the 3.3ghz speed since it seems to be safely overclocked to 3.8, but the number of cores on the v3 socket. There are only 3 processors out for the socket, I would have to increase my budget by almost 1000 to get either of the 8 cores. Besides, technically a cpu change is doable and I plan on attempting this on the build much later. I'll try and write down some things later tonight to be able to give you a more clear list of what will be involved to provide more detail, but I mostly wanted to keep the topic on track and build another thread later... just some rough ideas here for the home system.