Computer Build Help

zacheddington

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
So, I'm looking at building a computer in the next couple of months, and I have no idea what kind of motherboard to get. Here is my current plan as far as a build goes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hbkfqk

PC Part Picker doesn't have the i7 8700K option yet on the website, but that's the CPU I'll be getting. It also doesn't have the Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB (SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"), but that's the internal HDD I'll be getting as well.

For the motherboard, I'd like -

1) A max of 32GB+ RAM (I don't have plans to add RAM right at this exact moment, so please don't tell me how big of a waste it would be to have space for 32GB+ RAM. I know it "isn't necessary")

2) Room for 2+ Video Cards (I know, my video card is weak on this build. I'm not a gamer, but who knows. I guess could become one. My video card isn't a huge priority for me right now. Again, "It'll be a waste!" comments are not necessary...)

3) I'd like the drives to be the best possible (M.2/PCIe/SATA Express... I'm not a super hardware savy or CS guy, so my limited googling is where my drive knowledge comes from.) I definitely need help in this area from all of you that are smarter than I am, but I would like top-of-the-line drives that function correctly with my storage.

4) Keep in mind that the RAM I have selected is DDR4 - 3200, so it'll need to be compatible with that, my SSD, and HDD.

I'd like to "future-proof" by build as much as possible. I'd mostly like to build one to say I've done it, learn how to do it, help others that want to build one day, and have more control of upgrading/fixing parts when that time come. Any other suggestions are welcome, such as different power supply or case.

Thanks for your time!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($389.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($173.78 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($233.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1289.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-19 14:48 EDT-0400

Solution

TRENDING THREADS