Computer Build Restarts Repeatedly

ryanw135

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Today I finally finished my first build. After checking all wires and starting it up, the computer starts for about one or two seconds. For those couple seconds, the fans turn on, fan controller comes on, stock intel fan comes on, graphics card fan comes on, everything. Nothing will come on the monitor I have hooked up to the graphics card. After those couple seconds, everything will go off for a couple seconds, then come back on for maybe five seconds, after this, it turns off and everything comes back on for about 20 seconds. If I were to leave it on, I don't know how long this would go on. After turning it off and on several times, this pattern repeats every time. I have tried to figure what the cause could be on the internet and have checked the wires.

Here's everything that I have in the computer right now:
Bitfenix Prodigy Case
ASRock H81M-ITX Motherboard
Intel i5 Processor and stock fan
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 RAM
3 CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm Green LED Fans
1 Bitfenix Prodigy Stock Case Fan
NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Video Card
Corsair CX500M Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB Hard Drive

If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be and how to fix it, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

iiNrG

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Is this your first time turning on the system, you haven't tried to overclock the CPU? Can you enter the BIOS or is there no signal whatsoever on the monitor? Also what output are you using, HMDI, DVI or Display Port? You could try disconnecting your graphics card, and booting it using the Intel integrated graphics to check if that's the issue.

see if the power supply voltage is too low for the high end gpu and fans. start will no gpu see if the mb post with on board video if it keeps on rebooting turn off and take one of the dimm out. if the system posts with one dimm it may be a bios bug. update to the newest bios file and try two sticks of ram. if the rig wont post with one stick of ram. unplug the case fans one at a time see if it a bad fan or bad usb cable.

iiNrG

Honorable
May 27, 2013

That was my inital thought, although its possible that it could boot on 500w, and crash on load.

@ryanw135 I suggest trying to boot the pc without the GPU first, to confirm that that is the issue. If so, its likely that you need to swap out for a CX600M.

ryanw135

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
@HelloItsPersonalHD
I have tried to plug it into both the graphics card and the motherboard, no signal either way.

@iiNrG
This is my first time starting up the system, I have not tried to overclock the CPU. There is absolutely no signal on the monitor, and is tried it with a working computer today and it worked fine so I know the monitor is not the problem. I am using DVI. I will try disconnecting the card and using the integrated graphics.

@Metalauxilla
Okay, I'll check that out. I plugged everything into a Power Supply calculator and it recommended about 407 W.

@smorizio
Okay, I will try that.

ryanw135

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I tried everything suggested, and the same thing happens every time, no matter what. Unplugged fans one at a time, tried using on board graphics without video card plugged in, tried unplugging a single stick of ram, then both, everything. Could my PSU be broken, or is it just too low powered?

Metalauxilia

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

As iiNgR said it would be possible to boot on 500w, but it would crash when it hits full load. So from the sound of it the power supply is DOA. This actually happens more than you think just contact what retailer you bought it from and return it. After that getting a cx600m or a cx750m would be a good choice. The 750 if you plan on overclocking in the future.