Computer builders

Bill E S

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
" Stymied" as I'm having trouble solving a problem here. I have been trying since perhaps late February to update my system. Perhaps 4 years ago I built my first one and it worked the first time power was applied. Not so the latest attempt. Each time I try applying power the fans run briefly and then they shut down, result also is no output on the monitor .

Components : PS--Cooler Master 650w, Mother Board GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (Gigabyte) CPU - Intel-I5 2500k, Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212, Ram Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB DDR3, accelerator - EVGA GTX 550 Ti.

Like I said each time I apply power it cycles on briefly and then off, Left on it will continue to do this. First attempt at fixing the issue it was suggested at a local "tech" shop that since the tester indicated the power supply was producing the required voltages then I should look at a board replacement. This I tried and results were the same. So it was suggested I try replacing the cpu, results were the same. In retrospect I wonder if I should have replaced both cpu and mo-bo at the same time. Did the bad board result in damage to the cpu initially ? ? I'm reluctant to step right out and purchase either one at this point until some one with more wisdom than myself in these matters has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your help ! !

Bill

Bill new mb and cpu and ps have protection from dead shorts. what your telling us sounds like a dead short. you have to make sure your using all the standoff to kep the mb from shorting to the mb tray. if you have a good flashlight check that the cpu back plate and the i/o shield not shorting anything out. also mb cant post if you forget to plug in the extra 8/6 pin power plug for the mb and power to the video card. i would first start out by putting the mb on a wood desk with just the ps and no ram or video cards and see if you can force it to give you cmos beep code failure. that will tell you your mb and cpu are doing low level bios posting. if it still have no post..check that your heat sink and cpu been install right.

Bill E S

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
smorizio
sorry I.ve been slow getting off a reply to you, thanks for the suggestions. I hope to get to trying your suggestions tomorrow. We, as a family have had some health problems here recently and I haven't been able to follow-up on your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to offer your advice...Bill

Bill E S

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
smorizio

Here is my latest after reading your suggestions. the board sits on a wood surface, no sign of any"bad" connection at the cpu ie: as a short, made sure all paste is contained between the Hyper 212 and the cpu.. Pulled the i/o backplate to eliminate any possible "short". Long story short, result is ps connected, no ram, no video card connected. The cmos beep code .....is 17 short beeps before it shuts down.
Intially push the start button, rear sys. fan and cpu fan cycle on/off. Then they both restart, then the cpu fan stops and the rear sys. fan con't w/ beep code of 17 continuous short beeps and then beeps and fan stop, system recycles and repeats the above. Note also that the on/off button will turn this scenario on initially and the cycle starts. Afterwards the on/ff button does not have any affect.
What would your next suggestion be ? Note, the lack of the on/off switch working. Does this tell me that there is a bad wiring connection here ?

beep codes tell me that the mb is trying to work. I would place one or two stick of ram in and see if the beep codes change. if they do then put the video card in and see if he post to the bios screen. if not it could be bad ram or a video card. if the mb has onboard video use that one first.

Bill E S

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4/25/20012

I have done as you suggested and find unfortunately that the beep codes stopped, they are not produced with "either" stick of ram inserted. Would I be correct in assuming then that the ram is "bad" and is the source of my problem ? ? ?

Bill E S

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I came up with a video card and monitor, made all the connections, powered up and apparently developed a short. By the way it went down I've lost the power supply.
Yep, confirmed this afternoon, zero output with supply disconnected from everything.
By the way, this board doesn't have onboard vieeo.