Computer business ideas?

bigticket

Prominent
May 9, 2017
I'm stumped and I'm reaching out to the community for help! I am a young entrepreneur and have an amazing opportunity to start a business in which I am only accountable for 10 percent of startup costs. But that's not the point.
The point is that I absolutely love computers and tech. And I 100% want to start a business in this field. But what? I originally thought maybe a game center. But they are failing all over North America. And there's absolutely nothing I can do that they can't that would make me succeed where they didn't. So I threw that off the table. Building custom computers, like prebuilts sold online, would be the perfect job, but it's a totally saturated market.
The truth is I could open a pc repair shop but I just don't want to. Virus removal and software repair is not why I love PC's.

So I'm stumped and reaching out to fellow pc lovers lol do you have any of ideas that don't revolve around a typical pc repair store? Maybe ideas or opinions on prebuilts and game centers? I'm open to any and suggestions, ideas, and criticism. Hit me with whatever you got!

Solution
Not able to add to the above suggestions.

Would certainly favor services.

Make a list of "love" preferences from what you like to do most to what you like to do least. Do some research and look for service opportunities near the upper end of your list.

Be ready to do other things lower down the list as well. Be sure to honestly assess your skill level and experience with respect to each preference.

Hopefully you will find a niche to fill and profit therein.

With the market right now, there is no money to be made on hardware, just in services.
I have the same idea 20 years ago. My business is going well thank to microsoft always screwing up with updates.
Since 2018 started, I already have 20 pc came in with failed updates and need to reinstall everything.

If you open a business in computer, the main reason you have business is because of Microsoft, scammers (virus, PUP, malware, crypo ect. )
Most of the time you fix problems.

Good luck

Ralston18

Titan
Interested in the following:

"amazing opportunity to start a business in which I am only accountable for 10 percent of startup costs."

That sounds very much like some not so savory financial deal. Just who is accountable for the other 90%?

To whom do you give your 10% "share" to? How much and how do you pay?

What other terms are involved? Have a feeling that even if you get the greatest entrepreneurial computer store idea ever, etc. - things may not turn out so well.

Will concede the skepticism and hope my sense of the matter is just that. No harm, no foul. But still wondering....

bigticket

Prominent
May 9, 2017
The short answer is a lot if grants lol a program near me will cover 60 percent of my startup cost up to 100 thousand. The rest is covered by a no interest loan because I'm metis. And a large percentage of that loan is forgiveable. All said and done if I take out 75 thousand, I pay 13 thousand back. That was the number me and my financial advisor picked just to estimate costs and payments

bigticket

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Someone mentioned cloud mining and there's an insane amount of money to be made.
But they problem is it's actually more profitable to just do the mining yourself instead of offering your mining power to others. But if I don't then it's not "technically" a business and I will have a hard time getting the funding.
I've never looked into web hosting but that might be a decent idea?

The thing with cloud mining is that you can use your hardware yourself when you're not renting it. Also, if crypto crashes, you don't really lose anything as you've already made profit from the contracts.

I have a relative who runs a web hosting company, i used to work there for few months learning about coding and how to setup a web server. There's certainly money to be made in that business as long as you can provide competitive prices and good service.

bigticket

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Cool thanks for the idea! I am absolutely terrible at coding. I've done a little but not a lot. But that's not to say I couldn't hire someone who knows it well

Ralston18

Titan
Not able to add to the above suggestions.

Would certainly favor services.

Make a list of "love" preferences from what you like to do most to what you like to do least. Do some research and look for service opportunities near the upper end of your list.

Be ready to do other things lower down the list as well. Be sure to honestly assess your skill level and experience with respect to each preference.

Hopefully you will find a niche to fill and profit therein.

Solution

bigticket

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words and encouragement. I definitely know that business's with more than one area of profit stand a much better chance of survival. You're right. I'm definitely looking at opening something I love, while having something that may be there only to help pay some bills