Sep 2, 2021
Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
msi armor radeon rx 570
d450m DS3H
Thermaltake smart series 600w
Toshiba DT01ACA100
pc not overclocked

It tends to happen around 2-6 times a week, where my computer would freeze and produce a buzzing noise(speakers emit the noise, not computer) while my fans seem to speed up(I can't tell which ones) then it would crash? (screen turns black). I would then need to hard reset. Nothing shows up on event viewer - just says " Windows was not properly shut down."

I don't remember my ram model but it's frequency is 3000mhz - I ran memtest86 for 8 passes(7.5 hours) with no errors and OCCT ram test and cpu for 1 hour, since OCCT only allows one hour tests for the personal version.
I also replaced my psu but it didn't seem to change anything.
Did error checking on my drive with no errors.
Uninstalled and updated all my drivers to most recent. There doesn't seem to be a correlation to when it happens, it can happen when I'm gaming or when I'm browsing the internet.
I did run a sfc/scannow and it found some corrupt files which it repaired but I don't know if it's related- I feel like if it was a corrupt file, it would show up on the event viewer
Sometimes when it freezes, yellow squares would pop up diagonally but it only has happened two or three times

Ralston18

Titan
PSU = Thermaltake smart series 600w

How old? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Also look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and informational events that you can match to the freezes and other problems.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Reactions: kitehouse
Sep 2, 2021
PSU = Thermaltake smart series 600w

How old? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Also look in Reliability History for additional error codes, warnings, and informational events that you can match to the freezes and other problems.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

I had the thermaltake for 2 years which is also the age of my computer, normally just some gaming (gta, league, valorant.) For the reliability history, it
just says "Windows was not properly shut down," nothing out of the ordinary after that. I clean my pc maybe every 2 months and everything is firmly in place

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the PSU is starting to fail.

Generally unable to meet power demands (for what ever reasons) and the loss of power is seen by Windows as an improper shutdown.

Much as if someone simply pulled the plug or power was otherwise lost.

Many products are designed and constructed with some built in EOL (End of Life).

If possible try swapping in another known working PSU. Test that PSU for a few days.

Sep 2, 2021
My thought is that the PSU is starting to fail.

Generally unable to meet power demands (for what ever reasons) and the loss of power is seen by Windows as an improper shutdown.

Much as if someone simply pulled the plug or power was otherwise lost.

Many products are designed and constructed with some built in EOL (End of Life).

If possible try swapping in another known working PSU. Test that PSU for a few days.
I actually did that a month ago but it didn't seem to change anything. What I did a couple hours ago was turn off XMP which reduced my ram from 3000mhz to 2133mhz but I heard it can potentially fix it.

TRENDING THREADS