Computer can’t detect my gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2018
After a new build and taking out my gpu and hard drives from my old working pc and put it into my new parts (motherboard,ram,cpu.) I find that there is power to the card ( the fans spin) however no display, is this because windows isn’t downloading the correct (or any) drivers? As I go onto my onboard graphics I get a display and look into device manager to only see intel graphics and no Nvidia cars drivers, if I try to download these drivers nvidia will not let me as it can’t detect any nvidia hardware.
Please note:
- i have tested my gpu and cpu + ram on another motherboard to find the same problem.
- I have tested my gpu in another working pc to find it working.
- i have tried another 600w psu.
- I have made sure the six pin connector is connected into the gpu.
- I have reseated the card several times.
- if I try the gpu display I do not get any display at all ( I can’t get to see the screen to go to the BIOS)
-I have been on the BIOS using onboard graphics to find the primary display is on ‘auto’ and attempted to change this to ‘PCI-E’ however when I save and exit I find the changes just revert back to auto.
- the bios detects the RAM.
- I have tried a different monitor and different port (hdmi and DisplayPort).
- my bios version is 0.0810 ( is this the latest? For my Asus b250m-a motherboard.
Specs:
Cpu: I7 7700k 4.20ghz
gpu: asus Gtx 1060 3gb
Motherboard: ASUS prime b250m-a
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 3000mhz ( running at 2133mhz)
Psu: Corsair 450w
2x hard drive.

Thanks for reading and hope you can help, I have really run out of ideas and am really confused as to why it’s not working. Thanks in advance, Sam.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You would be able to know if it's the latest BIOS if you were to just go to your motherboard support page online and look at the version of the current BIOS they have available.

But by the looks of it no, it's not the latest and is in fact majorly outdated.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/HelpDesk_Download/

Go here and select your OS. Then download the latest BIOS.

BUT WAIT!!!! I assume it's a PRIME B250M-A. (Because that's what I got when I googled B250M-A) If it's not and is perhaps some other B250M-A then go to the support page for that specific one you have.

Once BIOS is updated, go back in and try to change it to use the PCIe. Through having the updated BIOS, Windows should be able to recognize a connected VGA device and install basic VGA drivers at the least so that you can then install the latest NVIDIA drivers for your 1060.

If this doesn't help, please come back and let us know.

Nov 4, 2018

ok thanks for the reply, i will try it now.

The problem is that your graphics card is not being detected.
Check that the motherboard mode is uefi and not legacy.
Some modern cards do not support legacy mode.

All graphics cards will operate in a basic low res mode without any driver.
That lets you install the nvidia driver to get full resolution and functionality.

I see no notes in the bios updates that suggest a solution to your problem.
I would avoid a bios update while there is a problem pending; you do not want to compound your issues with a failed bios flash.
If this is a new motherboard, it will already have a current bios.

Nov 4, 2018

Hi i have completed the BIOS update and there is no change, any other things i can try, thanks

Nov 4, 2018

hi made sure of this, also why won't my gpu load in a low res mode, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.