[SOLVED] Computer cannot start. Randomly happens after working 100% the previous day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Hi guys, dont know if someone has run into the same problem before, but it feels like I have tested everything and can not solve the problem on my PC. So my PC works 100% when I can power it on, and then sometimes after a while it just won't power on at all. If I power off the PSU and power it on again after say 10 hours, the PC can sometimes boot again after giving it power from the wall plug for 5-30 minutes. This also gets worse, and can take up to 2 hours later and then it's completely dead after. The only way to get the PC to start again is to remove all the components. Leave it for about 8 hours, then re-assemble it and it will power on again and work for say 3 weeks until the issue pops up again. I don't use the PC every day so the intervals may range from using the PC, shutting it down and only trying to power it on 48hrs later. Then I start running into the issue. So it's as if the MOBO is losing power.

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 2x8gb 3200mhz
GPU: ASUS Rog Strix 1070 OC 8gb
CASE: Coolermaster Scout 2
PSU: Super Flower SF-750F14MT(BK) Leadex 750W 80 Plus Silver

Things I've tried and tested.
  • Tried jumping the start pins. Nothing.
  • Tried removing CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes. Nothing.
  • Tried draining Power by holding powerbutton for 60 seconds. Nothing.
  • Tested RAM with MemTest 64. Perfect scores.
  • Tested my PSU (750w) with passmark PSU tester - scores were perfect. Also tested my brothers 1000w Corsair PSU. Nothing happens.
  • Updated BIOS to newest version after a rebuild, but the issue occurred again.
  • Tried to only power on PC with CPU, Mobo, 1 ram chip at a time and PSU. Nothing.
  • Tested CMOS battery voltage. Proper voltage shown. Also bought a new C2032 battery just to make sure. Nothing.
  • Bought a new surge protector thinking that my old one might have seen its last days. Nothing.
  • Tried changing Fastboot in the power options. No change.
  • Checked that all my cables connected to the motherboard is connected properly and nothing is lose.
  • Changed the motherboard stand-offs with new ones. No change
  • Tried powering it on at another wall plug in my house. Nothing.
  • Also when the PC doesn't power on, I've tried powering it on at my brothers place. Also nothing.
When the PC is working I can use it without issues and I can game with it for straight 12 hours. If I turn it off and turn it back on again after a few minutes it will also work. The issue occurs after leaving the PC for say more than 10 hours shut down. With or without the PSU being switched on/off. I have been building PC's since I was 12 years old and I really love and respect it, this is however the first time I have come across this issue.

My wife's computer is also on the exact same power line as mine and hers have never had an issue like this before. Her PC always starts without issue.

Now I should also mention that we had a power issue at our house where the power tripped daily randomly 4-5 times a day, where we will lose all power to the house for a minute or 2 and it will power on by itself again. The issue was found after a week at the municipal power box where there was a grounding issue for one of the cables. So I did game and lose power whilst playing. However the PC still runs perfectly fine when it boots. It will also work for around 2-3 weeks and then suddenly I will run into this intermittent issue.

I have sent all my parts back to the company I bought it from, but once they rebuild the PC they can not recreate the issue. I have left it at their warehouse for 4 weeks for them to test, but the issue never occurred. I picked up the PC from them and within the 1st week of having it back, the issue surfaced again. I have sent them the PC twice now, the second time I sent them the case with all parts in tact to prove that the PC doesn't boot. They also couldn't boot it, but when they removed parts and re-assembled it worked again. I got the PC back after a few weeks and the same issue happens. I just feel like them testing a computer is different than me using it at home due to me using the PC only maybe 3 times a week, sometimes not using it for 4 days straight.

The company also emailed me this:
"The symptoms all point to the mainboard.

The rebuild can sometimes solve a bad ground issue that could trigger the mainboard to shut off. Happens to the best of us.

But this scenario i would describe as the mainboard experiencing an electrical event that triggers the protective state which it can only get out of if left to discharge."

So what I have done is sent it back to the Manufacturer for testing, but they will most likely also test it getting it to work and maybe not being able to recreate the problem. The PC has been at their warehouse for 1 week now. I will update as soon as I receive an update from them.

For me it feels like there is power draining of sort. As if when I power off the PSU, the MOBO doesn't keep it's power and drains. This is why I thought it might be the CMOS battery, but that was not the case.

The reason why I am creating this post is to learn more and maybe see if someone has experienced the same issue before and what the fix or fault was? It's driving me nuts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also here is a log I kept after I received the PC back:

June - Picked up pc from Wootware. 18:00 power on. Game. 21:20 shutdown.

4 June - 7:40 power on. Idle. 7:45 shutdown. Also turned off the PSU switch. Expected loadshedding when at work. (Loadshedding is a thing in South Africa where the government turns off the power at times because we have a power issue in our country)

5 June - 6:15 - Turned switch on at back (PSU) No start.. gave it 20 minutes. Powered on and it worked. Game. 23:00 Shutdown.

6 June - 20:00 power on. Youtube. 20:15 Shutdown. Switch off PSU due to expected loadshedding.

7 June - 17:30. Switched on PSU. PC doesn't power on. Leave plugged in for 20 minutes. PC Powers on. Notice 'Date and time' are not correct. Update game. 18:00 shut down. Switch off PSU expected loadshedding.

9 June - 18:45 switch on PSU. Push power button, no start. Leave for 20 minutes. PC powers on. Again notice 'Date and time' are not correct. Idle. 19:30 shutdown.

10 June - Switch on PSU. 19:00 no start. Swap CMOS battery with a new one for testing. Leave 30 minutes no start. Switch off PSU.

11 June - 6:00 switch on PSU. Leave 30 minutes. No start. After another 10 minutes PC randomly turns on. No power button pressed?? Idle. 7:20 power off. Leave PSU on. 18:00 Bought brand new good quality surge protector to replace the older one. Power on PC. No problem. Watch series on Chrome. 23:00 Power off (Windows 10 update). 23:10 Power On pc after update to test if Update might mess with booting. No problem, pc turns on. 23:30 turn off pc. Leave PSU on (loadshedding suspended).

12 June - 8:30 push power button. No start..
13:40 Wife was working on her PC. She called me and said my PC randomly turned on by itself. I then left the PC on idle, to use it the next day.

13 June - 10:00 PC still on. Game whole day. Shutdown 20:00. Left PSU on

14 June - Push Power button. PC dead again.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Nothing happens as in - the PC doesn't power on when I press the power button on the case.

When a PSU is connected the motherboard and GPU RGB lights up, but the system can not power on when I click the power button or try to jump the power pins.

Nothing happens as in - the PC doesn't power on when I press the power button on the case.

When a PSU is connected the motherboard and GPU RGB lights up, but the system can not power on when I click the power button or try to jump the power pins.
So you have these issues with the Superflower....but with the Corsair....1000 watt....(what model btw and how old)....and you press the power button nothing at all happens.

...and it sounds like you are sure the Corsair is good correct?

If this is the case....I'm getting pretty swayed that it's the motherboard.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
So you have these issues with the Superflower....but with the Corsair....1000 watt....(what model btw and how old)....and you press the power button nothing at all happens.

...and it sounds like you are sure the Corsair is good correct?

If this is the case....I'm getting pretty swayed that it's the motherboard.
The Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold is the PSU my brother uses in his own PC. Both the PSU's work 100% on other motherboards. My PSU has also been tested by 2 computer shops and wattage scores are perfect.

I also initially thought it might be the PSU because of similar posts online, but even when plugging in another working PSU, it still doesn't power on.

The Corsair 1000w 80 Plus Gold is the PSU my brother uses in his own PC. Both the PSU's work 100% on other motherboards. My PSU has also been tested by 2 computer shops and wattage scores are perfect.

I also initially thought it might be the PSU because of similar posts online, but even when plugging in another working PSU, it still doesn't power on.
Which is why I'm leaning on that it's the motherboard.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Which is why I'm leaning on that it's the motherboard.
Yeah I also believe that it's the motherboard. The other issue I have and why I am making this post is because when I do an RMA, the company I bought it from get my system to boot again and they don't run into the same issue due to it being intermittent.

Thus I sent it back to the manufacturer a week ago. They are busy testing it, but I am kinda bracing myself for them to say that they also tested the motherboard and can't find any faults or that the issue also haven't surfaced. It's still under warranty, so I would like to at least be credited, but if they can't recreate the issue, then they believe the hardware is till working and then I'm stuck in phase 1 again.

Yeah I also believe that it's the motherboard. The other issue I have and why I am making this post is because when I do an RMA, the company I bought it from get my system to boot again and they don't run into the same issue due to it being intermittent.

Thus I sent it back to the manufacturer a week ago. They are busy testing it, but I am kinda bracing myself for them to say that they also tested the motherboard and can't find any faults or that the issue also haven't surfaced. It's still under warranty, so I would like to at least be credited, but if they can't recreate the issue, then they believe the hardware is till working and then I'm stuck in phase 1 again.
Do you know how to check the voltage at the outlet?
That's one more thing to try.....but if it's not that.....I'm leaning on that it's the motherboard because I can't see it being much else.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Do you know how to check the voltage at the outlet?
That's one more thing to try.....but if it's not that.....I'm leaning on that it's the motherboard because I can't see it being much else.
Now that you mention it, I haven't checked the wall power outlet. I don't have a multi-meter, but I can maybe try and arrange one.

The PC worked for more than a year without any issues (on the same powerline I still use) so I haven't considered it. It's worth a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Now that you mention it, I haven't checked the wall power outlet. I don't have a multi-meter, but I can maybe try and arrange one.

The PC worked for more than a year without any issues (on the same powerline I still use) so I haven't considered it. It's worth a try, thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome.
...and this voltage can change with different times of the day and different loads.
If you get a meter....you can just put the prongs in the outlet you aren't using...and monitor it.

Reactions: Cubrix

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
You're welcome.
...and this voltage can change with different times of the day and different loads.
If you get a meter....you can just put the prongs in the outlet you aren't using...and monitor it.
Okay so I checked my wall plugs this weekend with a multimeter and everything is stable. I get around 239v on all my plugs in the house (in South Africa we have 240v wall plugs). I guess I'll just wait and see what the manufacturer says.

Will leave feedback as soon as I hear from them.

Jul 17, 2021
Hi, Cubrix

I have the exact same issue like yours. I bought my PC last year and it was completely fine at first. I use it for work, 3D modelling, 3D renderring and even gaming. But after 2 or 3 months it won't start. No lights, no sound and the power button did nothing. After leaving it for 2-3 days it then start normally. Like nothing happened. I can use it fine with no problem but after 1-2 months the problem occur again. Sometimes I have to leave the PC off for 2-3 days or even a week so it can boot again. I have sent the motherboard to Gigabyte and they have sent me the replacement but the problem still happens till today.

I wonder if you have resolved the problem or hear anything from the manufacturers.

Thanks

My specs
Proc : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Mmr : Gskill RipjawsV 2x8GB 2666MHz
Gpu : Zotac RTX 2060 AMP
Psu : CoolerMaster MWE 550 Gold

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
Hi, Cubrix

I have the exact same issue like yours. I bought my PC last year and it was completely fine at first. I use it for work, 3D modelling, 3D renderring and even gaming. But after 2 or 3 months it won't start. No lights, no sound and the power button did nothing. After leaving it for 2-3 days it then start normally. Like nothing happened. I can use it fine with no problem but after 1-2 months the problem occur again. Sometimes I have to leave the PC off for 2-3 days or even a week so it can boot again. I have sent the motherboard to Gigabyte and they have sent me the replacement but the problem still happens till today.

I wonder if you have resolved the problem or hear anything from the manufacturers.

Thanks

My specs
Proc : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Mmr : Gskill RipjawsV 2x8GB 2666MHz
Gpu : Zotac RTX 2060 AMP
Psu : CoolerMaster MWE 550 Gold
Howzit man, I have finally found the problem.. It was actually nothing to do with the PC. The wall plug was the problem all along. I moved my PC to another room and used it now for at least 2 months, working perfectly. I did test my wall plug's volts (which tested fine), but I never checked the amps, and that is probably the problem. I am just glad that I could pin point the problem eventually because sheeeesh I was pulling out my hair on my head from frustration. Hope you have a similar problem man.

Reactions: MMorris666
Status
Not open for further replies.