Question Computer can only turn on once

BenniiSon

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
Hello everyone,
So I just moved my components to a new case and bought a refurbished ITX motherboard on ebay, as well as brand new SFX power supply.
After putting everything together the computer boots just fine, however if I turn off the computer (windows shut down or case power button) I can't turn on the computer again unless I unplug and replug the 24-pin connector.
I've tried turning off and on the PSU but it doesn't work, I've also checked the front panel connector and all the cables. The computer only boots again after replugging the 24-pin.
Is there a problem with my motherboard ?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for the answer, that's what I thought too.
But how is it possible for the circuit to be able to turn on fine after connecting the 24-pin once but not afterward ?
I'm not sure. Anything beneath the PCB, I have no idea. If you can find a motherboard breakdown by GamersNexus for the exact model -- maybe you can find what it could be. Good luck.

BenniiSon

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
So I did some testing.

After trying to connect my setup to another power supply I realized it works normally. I used my Corsair RM750i Gold from my old computer which makes the computer work fine (can boot all the time). However with my Corsair SF600 Platinum it didn't work. I also tried with diffrent cables for both.
That's why I thought it was a power supply issue, so I ordered another SF600. But I had the same exact problem, it can turn on after connecting everything together but doesn't turn on again unless I connect my 24-pin again.

Can it be a compatibility problem with the power supply, or do I happen to have received 2 bad SF600 ?

As for the setup it's :
  • Asus Z170I Pro Graming
  • Intel 6700K
  • Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080
  • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

Last edited: