Computer can take up to 10 minutes to START booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2018
When I press the power button on my case, the case leds (on led and HDD led) turn on, the fans inside the case turn on and start making their normal fan noise, but nothing else happens. The monitor doesn't turn on, neither do the mouse and keyboard. If I let it sit in this stage and simply wait, at some point in time (usually around 10 minutes later) the computer starts booting up. I'm not saying the display suddenly turns on and it's in the desktop already. It actually starts booting up as if I had just pressed the button, so mobo logo > windows loading, etc.
Once it boots up then it runs indefinitely with no issues. I can run demanding games for 2 days straight and no problem happens.

If, instead of waiting 10 minutes, I turn the computer off, unplug the power cable and then press the power button for around 30 seconds before replugging the power cable, it usually starts up fine then. Except the next day the issue comes back. This is the issue I've been dealing with for months already.

Recently, as in the last couple days, the issue changed a tiny bit. Now when I press the power button, the computer turns on for 1 second and then turns off, only to turn itself on again a second later and then go into the stage I described before: It stays on, but nothing happens. 10 minutes later it starts to boot. Once it's in the desktop, it runs normally.

I have no clue what's happening here. It's such a bizarre issue I haven't been able to find a single person with the same problem in extensive google searches. Any help would be much appreciated although this sounds more like a case for an exorcist.

Jul 22, 2018
i3 4170
8gb ram ddr3 (2x4gb speccy says 666mhz)
MSI H81M-E34
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003
gtx 770
corsair cx750
windows 7 64 bits

Not sure if I missed anything essential. And yes I know my PSU at 750 is overkill for this build.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
SSD has nothing to do with this problem. The most likely culprit is a flaky PSU. Sounds like from your description the system is having problems get to post consistently or quickly because the PSU is unable to get a good "power ok" to the motherboard. And it will manifest itself with power on and power off behaviors.

start with the cmos battery a weak battery can cause no post on newer mb. make sure the mb has the newest bios file. if your gpu is going bad if it pulls more the the voltage on the pci bus most mb wont turn the gpu on and will post from onboard video. i would pull the gpu see if the mb post fine from onboard video. if it does put a test video card in the pc.

Jul 22, 2018

Sorry for couple days late response. I was already waiting for some new hardware to arrive in the mail and once it got here I did some testing.

I just installed a new GPU and the issue is still here. Went from 770 to 1060. As for PSU I changed mine a couple months back (was corsair cx500 now it's corsair cx750) so my current one is not exactly brand new anymore, but I unless I'm really unlucky, it doesn't seem to be a PSU problem because the problem persisted back then and it is still here now. Also persisted across two different homes because I moved in between.
As for mobo, I have a <Mod Edit> amd mobo here lying around so after you mentioned it I decided to do a swap, format windows, etc. And see how it goes with the other mobo. Same problem. The other mobo uses a different cpu too, it's an fx 6300. Other mobo is Gigabyte - GA-78LMT.
As for HDD, along with my new GPU I got yesterday I also got an SSD. I'm still using my older HDD but now it's not the boot drive anymore. Windows is installed in the SSD and my older HDD is just there for extra room. Problem is still here.

Could this be ram? Unless there's some ridiculous bad luck factor affecting multiple components with the same problem, I'm not sure what else to say. To specify further my memory ram is Corsair - Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 although speccy lists it as 666mhz. Apparently there's a setting in the bios to set your ram to run at full speed called XMP but I never found it in my bios despite looking for those 3 letters like the grail, so I just left it at this. Could this be the issue?

EDIT: Couple updates. Back to the MSI bios + intel cpu I described before. Updated BIOS to latest version.

I should also mention that this problem only happens when I'm booting my computer after not using it for a while such as after sleeping. If I do a soft reset OR if I turn it off and then turn it on again shortly after, it turns on normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tiku1234
Status
Not open for further replies.