Computer cannot see any hard drives.

loganace

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I am new to this I dont know the neccisary amount of information, but, my asrock motherboard cannot see any harddrives in the bios. it worked perfectly before, overnight it just doesnt work. I know the harddrive might be smoked, but I want to see what I can do before opening it up.

Solution
If many drives disappear like that it is most likely the SATA controller on the motherboard that failed. So basically a board issue.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

So are you saying that ALL the drives including the system OS drive is not being seen by the BIOS?

loganace

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
The storage drives are not being seen at all, making it so I cannot boot. It says the Sata3_1-Sata3_5 are not detected. neither is eSata1. I hope that correctly answers the question. If not, can you please tell me how to find the other drivers.

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Also possible a data or power cable came loose, very easy to un/replug the cables to make sure they are properly seated.

Could also be a bad cable - if you have an extra it is nothing to replace the SATA cable (especially compared to un/replugging it as above anyways).

I'm not saying either is likely - but nothing worse than finding out it was a cable or connection and going on to trying more advanced diagnostics.

Multiple drives would mean multiple cables going bad at the same time!