computer can't connect to tv

bolshy

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
i've been trying to hook my desktop up to my tv with a vga cable but it's not working. the nvidia control panel can't find the tv, only my computer monitor. on the control panel it gave me an option for a "rigorous search" or something like that to look for the tv but still didn't find it. it said that some older tvs can have problems being detected. anyone have any suggestions?

Solution
on the tv make sure the input set to the vga port. in nvidia control panel make sure seting up two montors (dule monitor) make sure the vga cable on the gpu and not on the mb. if your pc is a newer model z77 or amd apu see if you can turn on the ipgpu and use the onboard video port. some older tv and monitors use to need video drivers to be seen by windows. see if the tv vendor has monitor drivers for windows. also to help us what the gpu and tv model your working with.
on the tv make sure the input set to the vga port. in nvidia control panel make sure seting up two montors (dule monitor) make sure the vga cable on the gpu and not on the mb. if your pc is a newer model z77 or amd apu see if you can turn on the ipgpu and use the onboard video port. some older tv and monitors use to need video drivers to be seen by windows. see if the tv vendor has monitor drivers for windows. also to help us what the gpu and tv model your working with.

Solution

bolshy

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
is it completely necessary to hook the cable into the gpu and not the mb? my gpu is a 650 ti and doesn't have a vga slot, only the mb does.

on older mb when you put in a gpu the mb video port will be turned off. on newer mb look for muilt monitror support in the bios. if your bios has that line set it to enable to turn both ipgpu and gpu on. if not you need to use a dvi cable to vga cable and or adaptor. if your tv is a smart tv and has wifi with windows 10 you may be able to sent the tv up.

bolshy

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

i guess i'll just head to best buy tomorrow and grab a vga to dvi adapter since it's only a couple bucks. thanks!