Computer can't find 3tb hard-drive, so can't format drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

followthedon

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I got a 3 tb hard-drive for storage with my ssd as my primary boot drive. My computer dose not see the 3tv drive at all. the computer dose not seem to know the drive is there, I assumed it would tell me about the drive after I first plugged it in but it did not. the drive is the (Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive) my motherboard is the Rampage (rampage extreme iv) only other thing worth noting is that I am not using a sata 6.0 but rather sata 3.0 for now would that make a difrence would assume a 6.0 drive would be backwards compatible with 3.0
Oh and the operating system is the 64 bit version of windows 7 however its the Home Premium version (wish I would of paid a bit more and bot unlimited for the extra ram it can use.. did not know the premium had a 16 ram cap).

any how advice or thought on this matter would be appreciated, I am a newbie so it may be something simple that's why I am trying to give all the info I can give .

You need to go into disk management and initialize the drive , right click on computer and select manage then in the right side of the window under storage select disk management. Look for the drive and it should be unalocated space so right click on it and select new simple volume then format and select a drive letter.

chandrakant13

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
hi...
i also have that problem.
i also have a Segate baracuda 3 tb sata 6gbps hard drive which is not detected in my pc....
i have a Asus M5A88-M board and i Connect the Hard drive properly with my system in Sata 6gbps port...(Total Sure for connection its proper)
it is not dectected any drive what can i do...
plz suggest....
kushwahachandrakant@gmail.com

Do as inzone instructed. To get to disk management do the following:
Click on Start
In the search box type diskmgmt.msc
Press Enter and follow the directions given by inzone.

By the way, never post your email address in a forum.

MLAPR

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I am having the same issue.
If there are no drivers, the system will not show the new HDD on Disk Management console, so suggested instructions are a not go.
Windows shows gibeerish letters when searching for driver then it will comeback and give me the error that it cannot find drivers for device.
Tried manufacturer software, acronis true image 2013 and nothing, the hard drive is new and never been used before.

plankingdom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just installed a 3TB drive, but when the hard drive was discovered only 2TB is useable. I have just under 750Gb unallocated. I'm not able to utilize the remaining amount through anything I'm seeing in the disk management. If I partition the drive will it be viewed differently, or am I just overlooking something?
I'm running win 7 64-bit.

plankingdom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I don't get the option when right clicking the unallocated drive portion. All I get is properties, and a help option. I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master and its able to see the unusable portion, and shows the whole drive as one item, but when partitioning the drive the 750gb remains. Formatting and discovering/refreshing does not help.
Since my last post I have tried the seagate discwizard, but I'm using a WD green drive, so its not useable to me. I have also made sure my sata driver has been updated to the latest version. For the life of me I cant understand what I'm missing.
My mobo is the ASrock 970 Extreme3, and as I said the sata driver and a 3TB+ driver have been installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.