Computer can't see own wireless signal.

tangocharlie1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
I have a very odd issue.

My router broadcasts a 2.4GHz connection and a 5GHz connection. My computer can see and connect to the 2.4GHz connection, but my 5GHz connection won't show up in the available WiFi networks list.

It can't be an issue with the router because all of my other devices (iPhone, Laptop, etc) can see the 5GHz network and connect to them without issue. It's also NOT an issue with my computer not being able to 5GHz networks because it can see other 5GHz networks in my area

I've googled this issue pretty extensively on the internet but came up with nothing. None of the proposed solutions I came across worked.

-I've restarted my computer (duh)
-Restarted my router
-I've uninstalled my wireless card driver and reinstalled, no dice.
-Someone recommended deleting existing wireless profiles, my 5GHz connection doesn't come up as an existing wireless profile in settings, however it does come up in the regedit whatever that means.
-I tried doing a system restore to an earlier point but my system restore never successfully completes. I get an error saying system restore couldn't be completed, that none of my computer files were changed, and that running anti-virus software is likely the reason why system restore can't complete. I turned off Windows' Anti-Virus protection but I still got the same error.

Of course you may be thinking "Just use your 2.4GHz connection" which makes sense but my 2.4GHz connection has 1/4 of the throughput my 5GHz connection has. I get ~1/4 the download speeds on my 2.4GHz connection compared to my 5GHz connection.

It looks like some obscure software issue where Windows is hiding my wireless connection with that specific SSID for god knows what reason.
I have a feeling that if I simply change the connection name of my 5GHz connection it will work, it can see other 5GHz connections after all. I will try that if necessary, but I don't want to try that just yet since there are other people in my household who use the same network connection and I don't want to inconvenience them by having to make them connect to the network again and enter the password. It would be a helpful if I could learn the root cause of this issue for future reference even though I have some workarounds at my disposable.

I have a lingering suspicion that my VPN software (I use torguard) is the cause of my issues, but I have no idea what can't of issues a VPN software might cause nor do I know how I could fix them.

tangocharlie1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Minutes after posting this thread I've solved my issue. But it's still odd.

My router was broadcasting its 5GHz signal in channel 149. I changed that to channel 48 and boom my computer saw my 5GHz signal and connected. Which is still odd because only my computer had issues connecting to my 5GHz connection at channel 149, all of my other devices had no issue. So my router now broadcasts in channel 48, none of my devices have issue with that channel now.

Any insight into what in the world could be the reason for this?