Ryan

I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good computer
case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I am kind of stuck
on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I am also going to
replace the current power supply as I have added enough hardware to warrant
this.

Thanks.

I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and moved
everything over. The Antec case came with a standard size
250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
www.antec-inc.com
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
line enclosure 660

"Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
|I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a
good computer
| case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I
am kind of stuck
| on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I
am also going to
| replace the current power supply as I have added enough
hardware to warrant
| this.
|
| Thanks.

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

I have an Antec case that came with a 380 PSU. It is called "Sonata" and I
am very pleased with it. It is great to work with and is very quiet. In
fact, the box it came in says, "Hear the silence".

FWIW, JAX

>I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
> power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and moved
> everything over. The Antec case came with a standard size
> 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
> www.antec-inc.com
> http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
> When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
> line enclosure 660

> "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
> |I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a
> good computer
> | case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I
> am kind of stuck
> | on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I
> am also going to
> | replace the current power supply as I have added enough
> hardware to warrant
> | this.
> |
> | Thanks.

Ryan

Thanks for the info. We have similar models and this is good to know.
Any tips for moving everything into the new case? I just added a 60 gig
drive and everything is cramped in the current set up.

> I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
> power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and moved
> everything over. The Antec case came with a standard size
> 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
> www.antec-inc.com
> http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
> When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
> line enclosure 660

> "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
> |I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a
> good computer
> | case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I
> am kind of stuck
> | on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I
> am also going to
> | replace the current power supply as I have added enough
> hardware to warrant
> | this.
> |
> | Thanks.

Ryan

Jim,

After looking over your HP model, I was curious to know if you have upgraded
the original celeron processor and video card in that system.

If you did, I was interested to know the path you chose to upgrade these
particular components. Like which types and brands you picked. I am
considering doing this. Thanks.

> I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
> power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and moved
> everything over. The Antec case came with a standard size
> 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
> www.antec-inc.com
> http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
> When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
> line enclosure 660

> "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
> |I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a
> good computer
> | case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I
> am kind of stuck
> | on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I
> am also going to
> | replace the current power supply as I have added enough
> hardware to warrant
> | this.
> |
> | Thanks.

Buy what catches your fancy having had a look inside to decide whether there
is room for all your components. Is there provision for the 2nd HD if you
have 2 HDs? Is it built to last? I saw a lovely case but it was neither
roomy enough nor built to last. In fact when I opened it I expected it to
fall apart right there and then. But it DID look cute. I stuck to my old
Lian Li case even though I still hanker after the old horizontal desktop
cases which also serve as a handy stand for the monitor.

Incidentally, Belkin used to market a component that you could have as a
riser for the monitor with 5 switched electrical outlets -- all protected
against surges and radio interference -- plus the master switch which could
be used to switch off the whole setup. I use one myself and I have one
installed for my hi-fi. Lovely! Some of the best ideas like this one are
discarded mindlessly.

--
choro-nik
********
"Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
>I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good computer
> case. With everything so much propietary on this system, I am kind of
> stuck
> on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently on. I am also going
> replace the current power supply as I have added enough hardware to
> warrant
> this.
>
> Thanks.

Just take your time. Have a big enough work area so when
you do the job you don't damage anything. Take precautions
for ESD (electro-static discharge). Read the instructions in
the HP manual on how to open the case and get access to the
mobo (that will be in the section on adding hard drives and
memory). On my old case you had to loosen screws and press
latch to slide the drive cage out the front.
Look at all the connections and note which wires go where.
Also, before you take the old computer apart, download
EVEREST from www.lavalys.com and determine what mobo HP
used. On my HP 6465 they used an ASUS MEBVM. Then download
the motherboard manual from the mobo maker. HP buys
commercial mobo. Compaq builds their own, Dell has mobo
built for them.
When you take the old case apart and get a new case, you may
need to remove and install the rear shield so that you have
the proper mobo connectors. I used a short section of 2x4
about 5 inches long as a tool to press (tap) it into place
without bending or breaking it.

Then, read the manual that comes with the new case and move
one piece at a time into the new case.

You'll need a #1 and #2 Phillips screwdriver, a pair of
needle nosed pliers and some screw holders are handy. A nut
driver set is also useful. Don't over-tighten any screws,
just snug is tight enough.

Take your time. and have fun. Once you have done that, the
only difference between building your own and what you will
have done is picking your components, I spent about six
months deciding on my mobo, CPU and then built the computer
I'm now using.

| Thanks for the info. We have similar models and this is
good to know.
| Any tips for moving everything into the new case? I just
added a 60 gig
| drive and everything is cramped in the current set up.

in message
| > I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
| > power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and
moved
| > everything over. The Antec case came with a standard
size
| > 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
| > www.antec-inc.com
| > http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
| > When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
| > line enclosure 660
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
| > |I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can
recommend a
| > good computer
| > | case. With everything so much propietary on this
system, I
| > am kind of stuck
| > | on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently
on. I
| > am also going to
| > | replace the current power supply as I have added
enough
| > hardware to warrant
| > | this.
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > |

The HP 6465 mobo has an AGP slot but we aren't gamers, so I
just stayed with the on-board 8 MB video, it does just fine
for our needs. If I had the money I would get an ATI
All-in-Wonder for TV capture.
I thought about over--clocking the Celeron 433 by raising
the FSB to 100 MHz but HP had cut all the jumpers off the
mobo. Spending money on an old mobo that is Socket 370 PPGA
is not feasible since the cost of a PII or maybe PIII CPU is
higher. I may buy a new mobo and CPU and upgrade the whole
computer.

| Jim,
|
| After looking over your HP model, I was curious to know if
you have upgraded
| the original celeron processor and video card in that
system.

| If you did, I was interested to know the path you chose to
upgrade these
| particular components. Like which types and brands you
picked. I am
| considering doing this. Thanks.

in message
| > I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
| > power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and
moved
| > everything over. The Antec case came with a standard
size
| > 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
| > www.antec-inc.com
| > http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
| > When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
| > line enclosure 660
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
| > |I own a HP 6636 and was wondering if anyone can
recommend a
| > good computer
| > | case. With everything so much propietary on this
system, I
| > am kind of stuck
| > | on finding the right mid-size set up it is currently
on. I
| > am also going to
| > | replace the current power supply as I have added
enough
| > hardware to warrant
| > | this.
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > |

Ryan

Jim,

I downloaded Everest Home Edition and unable to locate what mobo HP used.
Under Mobo Properties it lists Mobo ID & Name. The Mobo name says "unknown."

When I do find the the type of mobo HP used and I download the manual, how
will the manual help me move the old hardware to the new case? Thanks.

> [...]
> | Any tips for moving everything into the new case? I just
> added a 60 gig
> | drive and everything is cramped in the current set up.
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > I have a HP 6465 that came in a small case with a micro
> | > power supply at 115 Watts. I bought an Antec case and
> moved
> | > everything over. The Antec case came with a standard
> size
> | > 250 Watt PS and plenty of room for expansion.
> | > www.antec-inc.com
> | > http://www.antec.com/us/pro_en_solution.html
> | > When I built this computer I chose the Antec Performance
> | > line enclosure 660
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

The motherboard manual has a diagram of all the pins and
connectors so you can connect the various wires, power
connection and front panel lights and switches correctly.
You may not need it but it is handy. Without it, suggest
you make a note on a bit of tape and tag the connections (or
draw yourself a diagram) as you take them off the mobo so
you get the new case correctly hooked up.

If it says unknown in EVEREST it is because HP has used some
mobo that is not commercial. You can try Bel Arc Advisor
www.belarc.com in the chance that they have a different
database. But it seems that HP has removed the ID tag on
their mobo. You might see a label that will tell you
something, but they are small and hard to see.

Take your time and don't force any connection, most
everything is a keyed push fit, some connectors may have a
latch that needs to be released before you can pull the
wires off the mobo. This also applies to some of the cards
on the mobo, such as the AGP slot which has a latch to hold
the card in place besides the screw on the back.

> [...]
nut
| > driver set is also useful. Don't over-tighten any
screws,
| > just snug is tight enough.
| >
| > Take your time. and have fun. Once you have done that,
the
| > only difference between building your own and what you
will
| > have done is picking your components, I spent about six
| > months deciding on my mobo, CPU and then built the
computer
| > I'm now using.
| >

| > "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks for the info. We have similar models and this
is
| > good to know.
| > | Any tips for moving everything into the new case? I
just
| > added a 60 gig
| > | drive and everything is cramped in the current set up.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Ryan

I downloaded the Bel Arc Advisor and under "Main Circuit Board" it says:

Board: Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.06 11/15/99

Would this be it?

Yes, try http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/manuals/Trigem/

|I downloaded the Bel Arc Advisor and under "Main Circuit
Board" it says:

| Board: Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac
| BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.06 11/15/99
|
| Would this be it?

in message
| > The motherboard manual has a diagram of all the pins and
| > connectors so you can connect the various wires, power
| > connection and front panel lights and switches
correctly.
| > You may not need it but it is handy. Without it,
suggest
| > you make a note on a bit of tape and tag the connections
(or
| > draw yourself a diagram) as you take them off the mobo
so
| > you get the new case correctly hooked up.
| >
| > If it says unknown in EVEREST it is because HP has used
some
| > mobo that is not commercial. You can try Bel Arc
Advisor
| > www.belarc.com in the chance that they have a different
| > database. But it seems that HP has removed the ID tag
on
| > their mobo. You might see a label that will tell you
| > something, but they are small and hard to see.
| >
| > Take your time and don't force any connection, most
| > everything is a keyed push fit, some connectors may have
| > latch that needs to be released before you can pull the
| > wires off the mobo. This also applies to some of the
cards
| > on the mobo, such as the AGP slot which has a latch to
hold
| > the card in place besides the screw on the back.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
| > | Jim,
| > |
| > | I downloaded Everest Home Edition and unable to locate
| > what mobo HP used.
| > | Under Mobo Properties it lists Mobo ID & Name. The
Mobo
| > name says "unknown."
| > |
| > | When I do find the the type of mobo HP used and I
download
| > the manual, how
| > | will the manual help me move the old hardware to the
new
| > case? Thanks.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > when
| > precautions
| > instructions in
| > the
drives
| > and
and
| > press
| > where.
download
HP
| > download
mobo
| > may
you
| > have
of
| > 2x4
| > place

and
| > move

handy. A
| > nut
| > screws,

that,
| > the
you
| > will
six
| > computer

this
| > is
| > just
up.
| > | > |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
| > micro
case
| > and
| > standard
| > Performance

| > rights;
| > overcome.

this
| > currently
added
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Ryan

Thanks for your help Jim.

> [...]
> | > mobo that is not commercial. You can try Bel Arc
> Advisor
> | > www.belarc.com in the chance that they have a different
> | > database. But it seems that HP has removed the ID tag
> on
> | > their mobo. You might see a label that will tell you
> | > something, but they are small and hard to see.
> | >
> | > Take your time and don't force any connection, most
> | > everything is a keyed push fit, some connectors may have
> | > latch that needs to be released before you can pull the
> | > wires off the mobo. This also applies to some of the
> cards
> | > on the mobo, such as the AGP slot which has a latch to
> hold
> | > the card in place besides the screw on the back.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Post back on this same thread when you're done and report on
what you learned and any details you wish to share.

I looked at the manual and the mobo is pretty simple, no AGP
slot and it is a small size board, so you'll have a lot of
room, so cooling should be good.

If you have not purchased a case yet, buy a case that will
support a full size ATX mobo so when you decide to upgrade
you can just buy a late model Intel or AMD mobo from any
company you select and just plug it in.

One caution, don't update your BIOS from anywhere except HP
or your HP supplied OS may not work anymore, it is probably
tied to the BIOS/mobo you have. If you decide to upgrade
the mobo, you'll will probably have to buy new software, for
the same reason.

Jim
| Thanks for your help Jim.

in message
| > Yes, try
http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/manuals/Trigem/

| > "Ryan" <ryan@theworks.com> wrote in message
| > |I downloaded the Bel Arc Advisor and under "Main
Circuit
| > Board" it says:
| > |
| > | Board: Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac
| > | BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.06 11/15/99
| > |
| > | Would this be it?
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>