Computer caught fire. / New one wont boot

WotK The Entertainer

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Yes i do have a question please skip to section 2 for that however section 1 is about my first pc build catching fire and some info for those who might be inquiring for whatever reason.

1. OKAY so to start Components included
ASUS MOBO- not sure exactly which anymore
GPU - GTX 750
CPU - AMD FX8K
HDD - WDBlue 1TB
NOW SOME BACKGROUND INFO for yall who want to get a kick out of the up and coming story

So this summer i had been using my pc significantly less than the past two years of having it. After the first year of heavy loads the performance began to slow down (As expected from what i do with my workstations) Never the matter I have overclocked before so i did it again. Mind you this is the first PC i built myself so i was not so advanced in cable management or monitoring my own system. Fast forward to summer of 2016 about august, I had been doing outdoors activities much more than previously so i was never really home. I would always leave my pc on as it put itself to sleep after 15 minutes of no interaction (Mistake No.1) TURN YOUR PC OFF IF YOU ARE NOT HOME. At the time this never crossed my mind as literally NEVER turned my system off for 2 years straight, it was always on even if in sleep mode thats still on. That is why the performance degradation came as no surprise to me. It was overclocked to the max for 1 year straight, Temps never went above 67 Cel. due to my water cooler being very efficient, Thank you corsair. Never the matter one random day I came home from a long day of ATV/Dirt bike riding because i was emailed with commission work.

The moment i realized i had murdered my system starts now:

I walk in my house and go straight to the pc, i notice the keyboard and mouse are not showing leds so i check the cords and hit the power button, started to walk towards the bathroom as my pc starts to boot and out of my peripheral vision i saw the pc blowing smoke out from the 6 fans.
As you could imagine i double take, my window was facing the wall (Thank my lucky stripes the house didnt burn down) but to my surprise my windowed pc case had two black panels... As you could imagine something caught fire inside the case. My first thought was dust but it was way too much smoke, so i opened the case to find 9/10 of my cables were not only hanging but dripping off the mother board. I cannot stress enough though i was pissed my system was completely melted from the inside out, i was thankful that my home was still intact along with everything in it. Long story short the only things that survived were the case fans, the GPU and the 12 Gigs of obsolete DDR3
(up for grabs if anyone wants)
Long story short if you're going to overclock dont go overboard, keep an eye on your system, and turn your pc off when you're not home. though this is something that not many people have experienced i promise you do not want to be apart of this small group of idiots like me. As i mentioned twice i was thankful that the pc is all that caught fire, anyone else who experienced this i hope that you suffered the same fate as me with just the pc catching fire, i consider my self lucky.

2. AS FOR MY Question.

My system is not booting. My newly rebuilt system. (No i do not have system speaker)
Nor do i have the funds to get one at the moment I'm aware of how cheap you can get them but i broke the bank this Christmas. completely.

AND YES i did EVERYTHING on the troubleshooting forum at least everything i can, multiple times.

Specs :
Corsair 750 Modular PSU Certified
Asus H110M AD/P Mobo
Intel Core i5 6600K CPU
GTX 750 GPU
WD Blue 1TB HDD
4GB of Crucial ballistix DDR4 with 4 more from corsair on the way will be here Thursday.

Monitor is saying no signal detected

initially i had an MSI mobo and it wasn't booting i figured it was the motherboard as the GTX 750 is not the only card i own and i know both my GPU's cant be broken yes i have tested both setups breadboard still with both GPU's still nothing

the CPU is brand spanking new and it's highly unlikely it came defective.

the first motherboard had an EZ debug light- it lit up red on both CPU and Ram, CPU blinking and Ram staying lit. like an idiot i just purchased a new, better mobo without a second thought as i have received dead motherboards from MSI before, twice actually.

i tested with multiple monitors, cables gpus and motherboards, i used 2 different power supplies and there was no difference so the newer one seems fine to me. No it doesn't have a voltage switch
i only have the one stick of ddr4 so i cannot test until i get the second one however, i have tried it in both dimms and both motherboards and the response did not change.

in addition i have reset the cmos with screwdriver and by taking the battery out overnight still no change.

at this point im sure your just as sure as i am that its the ram... but to further the investigation

the fans stay on it doesn't turn it self off at all... idk what that means its doing but i thought it might be worth mentioning. I plug in my keyboard and mouse and neither one's leds turn on.

when i try to get into bios using the keyboard nothing happens at all. the keyboard's only led working is the F8 key that flashes as if the PC has some sort of nervous twitch... its the only key that lights when i press anything.

the CPU cooler is a pain to work with to get on and off i do not recommend the cooler master hyper 212 evo, its quite annoying to get on and off.

the cooler did not come with thermal paste i had to apply my own. i re-applied it twice to be sure, reseated the cpu... to be sure... reseated everything multiple times... TO BE SURE I'm almost 1000% sure its the ram.

However im looking for other suggestions because i do not want to bank on it being dead ram stick to only find out its not when i put the new one in, not saying that the new one wont work im just staying open to possibilities

I will indeed update thread on Thursday to let everyone know however please send as many suggestions and possible causes for no boot

could it be the old Hard drive?
maybe? i doubt that as well but I'm just covering all bases. I hope this thread can help as many as possible including myself. thank you very much. Happy new year everyone.

Language edited by Moderator. This is a family friendly site.
Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
1| Have you ruled out the ram itself by taking them over to your local microcenter or friends house to see if they work on their system's/end?

2| You need to clarify what parts were carried over from your damaged system and what parts were bought brand new.

3| You also didn't state what your other PSU was that lad you to think that your PSU is fine.

4| Speaking of PSU's what series of Corsair PSU do you have?

5| With i5-6600K processor you should've been looking at an entry level Z170 chipset board. Regardless, did you make sure your CPU pins didn't get bent or that you drove some TIM into the CPU socket?

I understand that this is all frustrating but in retropsect, it will only make things worse if you rush things or treat them like they are bad components.