Computer cause noise in console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all;

No matter where I put my DAW computer, I keep getting noise in my
console. Any suggestions???

Thanks
Tony

Hi pitched, I guess white noise. When the computer is processing a task
,the noise goes away.???????????????

julian

On 29 Jun 2005 09:48:29 -0700, "tgallino2@aol.com" <tgallino2@aol.com>
wrote:

>When the computer is processing a task
>,the noise goes away.???????????????

When the computer is processing a task it goes away...? Could that be
due to the sound card temporarily getting turned off? Is it time to
try a different sound card?

Julian

what type of computer?
what type of console?
where are each being plugged in?

it's either hi pitched or it's white noise... white noise has no discernable
pitch. What's your interface between your computer and console? I'm guessing
digital switching noise from the computer, do you have a cheap soundcard?

> Hi pitched, I guess white noise. When the computer is processing a task
> ,the noise goes away.???????????????

PC, 2.8 ATHLON, 1GIG RAM 2-CREAMWARE PULSAR INTO 2-CREAMWARE A16
BREAKOUT. (32 out of PC into tape returns of console).

CONSOLE: PEAVEY AMR 1600
both are plugged into strips, on different outlets, but I believe they
are on the same circuit. (Studio is a converted garage)

What kind of noise is it?
Hum? Buzz? White noise?
TOC? (that's the sound that a computer makes when you put it down
everywhere)

<tgallino2@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello all;
>
> No matter where I put my DAW computer, I keep getting noise in my
> console. Any suggestions???
>
> Thanks
> Tony

mark

Joe Kesselman wrote:
> > When the computer is processing a task it goes away...?
>
> Sounds like you're picking up RF harmonics from the processor. When not
> doing anything else it's in a tight loop, which tends to put out more
> high frequencies. (I used that as a debugging tool, many years ago; with
> an unshielded system and an AM radio you could learn to tell what
> portion of the program was running by ear.)
>
> I'd guess it's time to check the shielding and grounding on your sound
> system and on the PC... and possibly to invest in a power-line noise
> filter on one or both boxes.

Is there any connection between the computer and the console other than
the power?

Disconnect everything except the power and start from there.

How about the computer monitor, what if you turn it off?

Mark

<tgallino2@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi pitched, I guess white noise. When the computer is processing a task
> ,the noise goes away.???????????????

Do you hear "clicks" in the noise when you move the mouse? Is the monitor a
CRT and if so do you notice it change in intensity depending on how much of
the screen is white (or extremely light colored)?

I think I figured it out. Let me know if this makes sense to anyone.
When the computer is on, no connections to the console, no noise. As
soon as I hookup the converters via firewire cables, I get noise,OR as
soonas i hook up a midi bov via USB cables, I get noise. I tried
turning off the A16 (analog converters) and stil had the noise. My
guess is that the firewire and USB cables are acting like giant
antenna. Make sense???.

In article <1120162590.932651.79510@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> tgallino2@aol.com writes:

> When the computer is on, no connections to the console, no noise. As
> soon as I hookup the converters via firewire cables, I get noise,OR as
> soonas i hook up a midi bov via USB cables, I get noise.

Of course. You have a ground loop. Ground loops don't just introduce
hum, they also allow RF to get to places where it's not supposed to be
via the ground path or shield. You have a painful troubleshooting
process on your hands.

try plugging everything into the same outlet.
this would give everything a common ground.
assuming the wiring on your converted garage was done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS