Question Computer causing room lights to turn off!

Jun 5, 2020
Hey guys,

I just built my PC and it was working perfectly fine until yesterday. When I turned on my pc and suddenly my room light went out. (I had to flip the switch back on at my house' power switch board) After that it can no longer turn on. Until I got it to the repair shop when it turned on as if nothing happened. Then I go back home, tried turning it on again(this time in a different room) and the internet went out and i had to go back into my house power switch board again to turn it on again. I just recently got the PSU which is why i dont think thats the problem. (or maybe it is idk really). I tried several times at other outlets at my house but all it really did was power the computer for around 30 seconds to a minute, then it turns off. Is this a problem with my PC or is it a problem with my house not having enough voltage to power my pc. I really have no clue what i should do and any sort of help is greatly appreciated...

Here are the Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX z270h
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
SSD: V-Gen 480gb
PSU:Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Series RGB 850W
Fan: Noctua NH-D 15

Note: My brother has been using his pc for almost a year (with better specs than i have) and is doing fine with no issues at all. However, he has a lower wattage psu at 750W but with platinum level as opposed to my 850W gold level.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I once lived in a house that had issues like this. Really old wiring and poorly redone circuits. I ended up being able to run 1/2 of the house at any given time and had to be selective about what was on. For instance it was either the TV and stereo OR the computer. AC unit OR the dryer, things like that.

You should probably have a professional electrician come out and take a look.