[SOLVED] Computer Completely freezes upon game entry - manual restart required (completely unresoponsive)

Oct 26, 2020
Dear people that are better with tech than me,

I recently purchased a laptop as follows: Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s); BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. N.1.15COM01, 6/22/2020; OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home; Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1 X 16.0 GB; GPU: RTX 2060 6GB; Storage: NVME SSD (512GB).

The issue I am having is that every time I enter a game (dota 2 in particular), the pc completely freezes , can't do anything and I have to manually reset using power button.

Things I have tried: I have updated Nvidia drivers to latest version; updated widows to latest version, I changed dota 2 api settings to dx11 and opengl.

This laptop is brand new (like a week old) but its from a brand that I am not entirely familiar with (Called Infinity in AUS but I believe that its Tong Fang or XMG in other places. Its still under warranty, so my question is whether this should be returned as this is a hardware issue or if there is some software issue or other problem that I can resolve myself (with your help please).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and please ask me if there is any other info that I should provide.

Regards,

Bruce

Solution
I'm not entirely sure what it can be, but you can try to run different programs on your computer. I'd start off with checking your Windows for file consistency (run command prompt as admin and type in 'sfc /scannow' and hit 'enter' to see if it gives any errors. Then I'd go with Prime95 to check your CPU, FurMark to check your GPU, and then MemTest86+ (requires some external media). Finish it off with checking for viruses and reinstalling Windows. If nothing helps just contact the manufacturer about warranty

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not entirely sure what it can be, but you can try to run different programs on your computer. I'd start off with checking your Windows for file consistency (run command prompt as admin and type in 'sfc /scannow' and hit 'enter' to see if it gives any errors. Then I'd go with Prime95 to check your CPU, FurMark to check your GPU, and then MemTest86+ (requires some external media). Finish it off with checking for viruses and reinstalling Windows. If nothing helps just contact the manufacturer about warranty

Solution