Computer completely freezing at random times.

Zuul

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but. Recently I have been having some problems with my computer.

At random times sometimes days or even weeks in between my computer would totally freeze.
With this I mean everything stops reacting, only my display still shows whatever what was happening at the time of the freeze.
My HDD activity LED would stop blinking. Keyboard and mouse DO NOT REACT. num lock indicator etc does not work. Might I add the freeze does not give a BSOD or crash file. It simply stays locked FOREVER until I hard reset.
But everything in my computer is still spinning during the freeze.

I have ruled out the issue of drivers by doing a clean install, updated to the latest bios aswell.
My system is the following.

Windows 8.1 pro
P8Z77-v LX motherboard
7850 2gb sapphire GPU
i7-2600K
8gb corsair vengeance ram
2tb WD green hdd
60 gb corsair force 3 SSD.
Corsair RM 850watt

So the origin of this issue must be from hardware somewhere.
Let me add I changed my power supply at the same time when I upgrade to windows 8. When I had windows 7 my computer never froze like this.
I highly doubt it is the power supply being an issue though as it is a very good brand, also the issue isnt consistent enough to be the power supply.
My idea is something in my computer does not like windows 8. But I have no idea what it is!
Anyone with experience on this that can help?

Zuul

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Update: I just recreated the freeze by attempting to update my onboard ethernet controller drives. this is the only time I am able to recreate the lock up.

Does anyone know if it's possible for onboard ethernet controller to completely freeze the computer?
again all usb ports stock working, image hangs forever audio stops.