Question Computer constantly BSOD's and crashes after GPU-change

Sep 8, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hey everyone,

I'm having quite some trouble with my PC that I can't figure out on my own. I've had my PC for almost a year and it's been working perfectly ever since. Last week I got a hold of a RTX 3060 Ti and decided to switch out my old GPU to that one. I swapped the cards and turned the computer on. It was alive for a minute or two before getting a BSOD. I figured it must be the drivers, so I got rid of the old drivers and tried another, but the computer still BSOD.

I did a clean install of Windows, but it didn't solve the situation. The computer actually BSOD's during the install of Windows 10, after formatting the harddrive. It took a couple of tries before getting Windows installed. Now I have Windows, but the computer still BSOD's or crashes after a minute or two of being alive. At this point I figured the GPU was at fault, but after trying another GPU and getting the same symptoms, I can rule out the GPU as the culprit.

I have tried swapping the PSU to a brand-new one. Still the same symptoms. I've tried another harddrive, still the same symptoms. I've done MemTest86, booted from a USB flashdrive. It ran without problems for a couple of hours. I've tried with only one RAM-stick in the computer, still the same symptoms. I've run Prime95 for 20-minutes or so, the CPU shows quite high temps, but nothing that made it crash.

Some of the BSOD's I get are: "IRQL not less or equal", "APC index mismatch", system service exception", "kernel auto boost lock acquisition with raised irql".

At this point I'm clueless. Everything worked great on the computer until I swapped the GPU. I'm quite good with computers and have swapped components before, I'm pretty sure I didn't damage the MOBO while doing so. There are no visible damages to the MOBO.

So, in summary. The problem is that the computer stays alive for a minute or so, sometimes more. I managed to keep the computer alive for 20-minutes while running Prime95. But when I do something basic, like moving the mouse the computer crashes or BSOD's.

The GPU is used before was a RTX 3060. Before switching PSU I used a Fractal 550W PSU.
My specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair 16GB Ram 3600MHz DDR4
RTX 3060 Ti
Corsair CV 650W PSU
Asus Prime A520M-A
Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD

All help is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What was your GPU prior to the upgrade? 650W is the wattage of the PSU, please state the make and model of the PSU and it's age. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Make and model of your SSD? Make and model of your ram kit? Lastly what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

Sep 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What was your GPU prior to the upgrade? 650W is the wattage of the PSU, please state the make and model of the PSU and it's age. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Make and model of your SSD? Make and model of your ram kit? Lastly what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?
Hey, thanks! I updated my post with some more information about my system.

Sep 8, 2021
Some more information about the issue is that the computer crashes during safe-mode as well. Also that before I formatted the harddrive and reinstalled Windows, I managed to get Forza up-and-running. It ran great with good fps and so on, and it wasn't before I turned off the game that the computer crashed.

It seems like it mostly crashes when I'm not doing anything special. Like moving the cursor around, or browing the file-explorer.

The computer doesn't crash when I'm in bios. If I boot the Windows flashdrive, it doesn't crash until Windows actually start installing on the harddrive.

Last edited:
Hey,
I'm having troubles with my PC crashing and BSODing constantly after a GPU-change. I have done it all, swapped parts etc and installed Windows from scratch. Nothing works.

I just now found these small scratches on the motherboard, coule they be the reason to why my computer is failing?

View: https://imgur.com/a/IwKb2Ai

Help is highly appreciated!
No...they're not deep at all, not even through the silk screen cosmetic finish layer.

What other symptoms are you experiencing such as when the crashes occur?

What are your complete system specs: cpu, motherboard, memory, psu, cpu cooling?

Sep 8, 2021
No...they're not deep at all, not even through the silk screen cosmetic finish layer.

What other symptoms are you experiencing such as when the crashes occur?

What are your complete system specs: cpu, motherboard, memory, psu, cpu cooling?
Thank you for your answer. That's uplifting!

I have a whole thread about it here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...y-bsods-and-crashes-after-gpu-change.3723115/

TD;DR My computer started getting BSODs and random crashes after a GPU-change. The computer usually dies and/or BSOD's after a couple of minutes after start-up. I've formatted the hard-drive, swapped out the GPU, swapped out PSU, done a healthy MemCheck86. I've ran Prime95 without the computer crashing, the CPU seems to work fine. Tried installing Windows on a second hard-drive. Nothing have worked. Which leaves the mobo as the culprit basically.

Sep 8, 2021
Did you do a CMOS reset after the CPU change? If not, do so.
I just did that. Didn't work. At this point I should have ruled out all components except the mobo right?

PSU - Got a new one. Still doesn't work.
RAM - MemTest86 ran for four hours, no errors.
HDD - Tried another one. Still doesn't work.
GPU - Tried another one. Still doesn't work.
CPU - MemTest86 and Prime95 doesn't make the computer crash.