[SOLVED] Computer continually blue-screening and turning off

Jan 8, 2020
Hi everyone

Specs before I start:
OS- Windows 10
CPU- AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz
Motherboard- ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD 990FX ATX
HDD- WD Black 3TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD3003FZEX
GPU-XFX Radeon R9 290 4 GB Double Dissipation
Power Supply- CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt
RAM- G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Also have some old 4GB RAM sticks running along these two from an old computer, not sure make/model

My computer has been running into issues while trying to boot for the past few months and I am unsure of the source of the error. Each of the fixes I've tried have proven to eventually fail and only allow the computer to work temporarily. A lot of time elapsed between most of these attempts at fixing the computer due to school taking up my time. I initially noticed the restarting while the computer was running more complex tasks like games. CPU temps have been fine throughout tests.

So far I've done the following to try and resolve the issue:
-Updated some drivers(honestly not sure if I got them all/don't know how to check)
-Reset the bios via CMOS jumper
-Changed ram sticks and tested each seat and stick
-Run a mem86 test to verify no issue with RAM(which showed no issues)
-Reset Windows twice through hard resets
-Ran a Windows hard disk check which said the HDD was healthy
Each hard reset the computer would work for a short while, but then eventually the computer would restart after an hour to thirty minutes. After a little while it started blue-screening and being unable to boot into Windows again.
Upon resetting the BIOS, the computer worked fine for about a day and a half, before finally falling into the same error loop it did beforehand. As of now, it is hit or miss whether I can boot into Windows, let alone stay in for any extended period of time.

Based upon these fixes not working and what I read from other posts, I think that my motherboard or possibly PSU is shot. I wanted to check here first to be sure before I ordered something, because I don't really know what is going on here in the grand scheme. Thank you!

Solution
Have you cleaned inside the case and reseated all cables, connectors, jumpers and cards? Nothing loose and wiggling.

No error codes, pop-up windows, beeps, lit LEDs, etc...?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the blue screens.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance as the computer warms up and/or you gradually introduce more complex tasks.

Watch for some bottleneck or some game/app that starts taking over any given resource and not giving it up when ended.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you cleaned inside the case and reseated all cables, connectors, jumpers and cards? Nothing loose and wiggling.

No error codes, pop-up windows, beeps, lit LEDs, etc...?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the blue screens.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just one at a time) to observe system performance as the computer warms up and/or you gradually introduce more complex tasks.

Watch for some bottleneck or some game/app that starts taking over any given resource and not giving it up when ended.

Solution