Computer Course help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Im after some advice as the title suggests, over a year ago i helped build my first PC with a friend of mine, i found it very interesting and used to watch vids on youtube to help me understand whats going on etc etc. I found myself again over last few weeks getting into them again and putting together many hours of entertainment but same time learning through the likes of Linus Tech Tips, JaysTwoCents, Hardware unboxed and Bitwit etc.
I really enjoy how the components within my system are put together but same time what each component is and what they do and no in-depth, so my question is are there any courses in the UK that aim the learning towards hardware how they work etc, the RAM timings, VRM's in motherboards, the make up of how CPU's work etc etc.

Can anyone point me in a direction of what type of course it would come under and expand my knowledge with computer building and hardware of it?

I learned everything i know here.
Here is how i learned.
Lets say im watching Linus' video about motherboards,and he says something about capacitors.
Now i know what capacitors are,but if i didnt know,i would google what capacitors are and learn about those through either wikipedia or if im lucky a post on this forum.
You dont need to pay for courses because you can find anything about computers either here by a google search.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Ok thanks, i didnt know if there was something to do and actually a qualification to say you actual know your stuff and prove it, if you get what i mean when someone says im a mechanic 'i can do it' then brakes fail :D My wife is doing things through Open University during lockdown and to say she achieved something during it must be rewarding and was keen to do something in my time and wondered if its worth it :)

Ok thanks, i didnt know if there was something to do and actually a qualification to say you actual know your stuff and prove it, if you get what i mean when someone says im a mechanic 'i can do it' then brakes fail :D My wife is doing things through Open University during lockdown and to say she achieved something during it must be rewarding and was keen to do something in my time and wondered if its worth it :)
Im currently 16,in electronics highschool,electrical energy technician profile (i learn everything about power plants,wires basically every single thing about electricity and its forms) and i have a class named electronics.
As the name says there i learn everything about electronics from a pure electron to electricity and circuits on a pcb,and both this forum and yt has helped me a lot about that.
You dont need a qualification to know something,i should be a electrical engineer,but i would like to focus mainly on pc's in my life,since its more simple and fun for me.I can be doing both but thats a different story for a different time.
If you are talking about a job application that is a different thing,but for me its the most important to know your craft,rather than show it on paper.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
When i mention 'is it worth it', i meant are certain things looked down upon. Some people qualify in a diploma for something and people dont even accept it as a 'proper' qualification if that makes sense :D

Right now im a career for my wife with disabilities so im unemployed, would love to have done something from home but at least have the understanding of how hardware etc works with PC's, laptops etc. It was only a thought and probably comes across wanting to apply for jobs with a company, just something i wanted to expand my knowledge, having something to show for it at the end and maybe help out family and friends while achieving this from being at home and still caring for my wife and 3 children.

I have a NVQ lvl 3 from carpentry and joinery and enjoyed that along the way, was hoping for something to learn from home and increase my knowledge from home and a little qualification :)

Reactions: Dj0gany

USAFRet

Titan
"carpentry and joinery " can lead directly into CAD work.
Designing a kitchen, rather than installing kitchen cabinets.

But a lot depends on what YOU want to do.
Software, hardware, networking, help desk.
The IT field is incredibly broad.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Status
Not open for further replies.