Question Computer crash after upgrading MSFS 2020 graphics

titolopez

Commendable
Jan 1, 2021
I was using my MSFS 2020 flight simulator and decided to improve the graphics using the simulator's own settings.

When I started the next 'flight', everything worked perfectly, but after a while, probably about 10 minutes, the computer shut down. I thought I might have accidentally moved a cable or that there was a power outage, so I turned on the computer again, restarted the simulator, loaded a new 'flight', and the same thing happened. About 10 or 15 minutes after 'taking off', the computer shut down again.

Apart from the new graphics configuration, I made no other changes to the hardware or installed software.

When I tried to turn on the computer again, the BIOS POST indicated a RAM failure.

I tested each of the 4 RAM sticks one by one, and indeed, I found that one of them was no longer working, so I removed it and reinstalled the other 3.

I restarted the computer again, and it worked. However, shortly after, it failed again (without starting the simulator), and the machine shut down once more.

Now, it simply doesn't want to start.

I built the computer myself a couple of years ago, and it had been working fine, so I am familiar with its installation.

Here are the computer specifications:

Windows 10
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020
Corsair CXM Series CX750M Power Supply
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 192-bit
Corsair Hydro Series H60 AIO Liquid Cooler
Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB Kit (4X8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 CL15 UDIMM RAM
Cooler Master MCB-B600L-KANN-S00 Computer Case
Crucial BX500 1TB SSD, SATA, 540 MB/s"

Can you help me understand what could be causing the issue and what I can do to fix it?

I was using my MSFS 2020 flight simulator and decided to improve the graphics using the simulator's own settings.

When I started the next 'flight', everything worked perfectly, but after a while, probably about 10 minutes, the computer shut down. I thought I might have accidentally moved a cable or that there was a power outage, so I turned on the computer again, restarted the simulator, loaded a new 'flight', and the same thing happened. About 10 or 15 minutes after 'taking off', the computer shut down again.

Apart from the new graphics configuration, I made no other changes to the hardware or installed software.

When I tried to turn on the computer again, the BIOS POST indicated a RAM failure.

I tested each of the 4 RAM sticks one by one, and indeed, I found that one of them was no longer working, so I removed it and reinstalled the other 3.

I restarted the computer again, and it worked. However, shortly after, it failed again (without starting the simulator), and the machine shut down once more.

Now, it simply doesn't want to start.

I built the computer myself a couple of years ago, and it had been working fine, so I am familiar with its installation.

Here are the computer specifications:

Windows 10
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020
Corsair CXM Series CX750M Power Supply
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 192-bit
Corsair Hydro Series H60 AIO Liquid Cooler
Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB Kit (4X8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 CL15 UDIMM RAM
Cooler Master MCB-B600L-KANN-S00 Computer Case
Crucial BX500 1TB SSD, SATA, 540 MB/s"

Can you help me understand what could be causing the issue and what I can do to fix it?

first test psu get a psu tester
only the negative 5 light wont be on as thats obsolete.

if all lights come on psu is fine

step 2
reset your bios
remove the battery from motherboard for a few seconds. then replace.
there are 2 pins on the motherboard as well if that fails you can short those pins

cmos
manual
page 14-15

make sure psu is turned off at the wall and the switch is in the off position hold power button to make sure there is no power in the system.

also update your bios if you can get into the bios after this to latest.

if
the psu is fine
the motherboard could have a fault on the ram slot