jhinternet

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2005
cpu, MB?? Freezes after 5 min. WHAT could be the cause??
I turn on my compurter and after 5 minutes it freezes. I reboot and I may not even get back into windowsxphome. It then will start turning off computer without shutdown and restart over and over. I tried my other computers powersupply, same thing. I redid the thermal paste on cpu. I don't know if its the cpu or the motherboard or something else.

I tried reloading winxp, it froze during formating of the drive. Like i said, everything works fine for the first 5 minutes. I can let it cool down and will do same after 5 minutes.

Can anyone give me an idea what might cause a computer to do this. I don't want to replace the cpu if its the MB.

I have amd64 3200 cpu, msi k8n neo platinum MB, giel memory, WD sata HD.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
I know you said that you reapplied the thermal grease, but tell us, what are your current CPU/system temps?

Tavis Curry

Your temps are too high.

I guess there under idle / low stress too - which is bad. You can't be putting the HSF on correctly.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
What kind of Geil ram do you have?

If 60c is idle then either reinsert the HSF or get a better one. Make sure the BIOS and/or software is not handicapping the RPMs of your fan(s)

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Sounds like heat to me. You sure your fan is spinning? Heatsink mounted correctly? If it is just a little crooked the temperatures will rise fast.