Question Computer crashed and won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2019
After editing and uploading a video my desktop crashed and wouldn't boot. I thought it was because of a power shortage, but after checking my rig the qled light turned red(cpu problem) then white(gpu), while the gpu fans wouldnt turn. I don't know why it would suddenly stopped working when it was working fine before, and I wasn't doing anything too strenuous before the crash, and I would like some advice on what went wrong or how to fix it. I tried removing the cpu+cooler and reapplying the thermal paste, reinstalling the gpu on another pcie slot, and removing/relocating the rams. My guess is a problem with either the CPU or the GPU, but I don't know which one to replace.

My specs are:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
RAM: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
and: G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Aegis DDR4
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" SSD
and: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card
Chassis: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power: SeaSonic - G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Apr 24, 2019
I will try that, is there one that you would recommend? And also, I've had this rig for only a few weeks, would the power supply fail after such a short time, and if so, is it because the wattage isnt enough, or just a faulty PS?

Apr 24, 2019
That makes sense. I'm thinking of buying this PU, would 650W be enough power and is EVGA a reputable enough company? Sorry if these questions are basic, this is my first built rig and after my first mobo came defective I want to be thorough before buying anything else.

Apr 24, 2019
Alright, so I bought the PS I linked earlier, and nothing has changed. I tried breadboarding, and while the qled light gave me yellow(ram problem) when all that was connected was the cpu and heatsink, it turned red(cpu problem) when I put in the ram. The GPU is still getting no power. I’m guessing the PU was not the problem, and that the old one was okay?

Apr 24, 2019
If you mean did I insert the ram while the rig was running then no, I did not. I turned the desktop off, unplugged the PS, then inserted the ram, then plugged the PU and then turned it back on.

Yeah, you're in what amounts to a troubleshooting race condition.

If you are PUSHED into a next step, because you don't have a spare MB or μP, at least the MB is $60.00 cheaper than what the Ryzen is currently going for; but that's hardly any consolation.

It might be to your advantage to take the MB & μP to a shop and see if you can get each tested at a substantially lower cost, though you might be committed to a purchase on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.