[SOLVED] Computer crashed idly and now won't boot Windows

needyourhelp12

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Hey guys. I would say I’m more computer literate than the average person but I’m noob compared to you guys.

I'm posting this in both the hardware and software forums because I don't know what category to post this in. Sorry for the duplicate.

I bought a custom built PC from IBUYPOWER a couple years ago, and this is the first problem I’ve had like this. Here are the specs listed on the amazon product page, I haven’t made any changes to it. If you need more info let me know.

Intel Core i7-8700K Six-Core Processor 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Max Turbo) | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1TB HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I should mention that although I have an SSD I hadn’t configured to boot from it, I just use it for a some game data storage.

Two nights ago I left my computer for a few minutes and when I came back it had crashed. Now, when I turn it on the screen I see my motherboard brand (MSI Z370) and it trying to automatic repair. When that doesn’t work, it eventually sends me to the windows blue screen. This blue screen menu is a little different than the menus I’ve seen in some youtube videos because there is no “reset this PC” option. The options on the blue screen that I see are :

Startup repair, System restore, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Image Recovery

Startup repair and System restore don’t do anything for me.

When I use System Image Recovery I get error message: STATUS_WAIT_2(0x80070002)

When I use command prompt to look up the directory of my C drive, (my main hard drive), instead I see the contents of my SSD. I would think this is some kind of clue but I don’t know what it means fully.

Is this enough information to diagnose the problem or at least start? Any idea if this is a hardware or software issue? If my data is lost?

One troubleshooting option that was suggested to me was using a boot drive and reinstalling windows from a USB. How does that work with respect to keeping old data?

I very much appreciate any help and feedback.

Solution
I might delete the one in systems as it doesn't help to have 2 posts about same topic, even if you weren't sure where to put one, as you might get conflicting advice. If it turns out its a hardware problem I can move this :)

I don't know which it is myself yet.

how to save data from the menus you can access
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

That will also show you which drives are running. love to see a photo of that screen. (upload to an image sharing website and show link here)

something not right here, if your PC starts into advanced startup (the blue menus) then unless that is on the ssd, your hdd should be...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I might delete the one in systems as it doesn't help to have 2 posts about same topic, even if you weren't sure where to put one, as you might get conflicting advice. If it turns out its a hardware problem I can move this :)

I don't know which it is myself yet.

how to save data from the menus you can access
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

That will also show you which drives are running. love to see a photo of that screen. (upload to an image sharing website and show link here)

something not right here, if your PC starts into advanced startup (the blue menus) then unless that is on the ssd, your hdd should be working somehow as Adv startup runs off a partition on the hdd.

BTW, if you booting off a ram drive (X) then the drive letters are all mixed up.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive as well

if you can copy info you want to save off the hdd to the ssd, I would try a clean install.
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS