[SOLVED] Computer crashes after opening certain games ?

Baelife

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
Hey there! Really hoping someone can help! My wife's computer keep crashing, almost immediately sometimes, after opening certain games. I believe it has happened with Fall Guys and Warzone so far. I thought it may be an issue with her second hard drive, because we had both games installed on that, but I recently wiped that drive, and installed Fall guys onto her main drive, and it happened again. Just finishing 1 game, and boom, PC resets itself. She has been playing FFXIV no problem which is the weird part. Not even one crash. That is on her main drive. She has a pretty insane computer, so it shouldn't be overheating or anything like that I couldn't imagine, so I'm curious what is happening !

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Just wanted to let anyone know incase they come across this thread that I found a solution to the problem. I updated my BIOS version, and that completely solved the issue. Definitely try a BIOS update before anything drastic!

Lutfij

Titan
Please provide the specs to your wife's computer, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Where are you sourcing the games listed above? As for your OS, if you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for motherboard in her build? As for your problem, by crash do you mean games closing and taking you back to OS GUI/desktop or a straight reboot of the system?

Use HWMontior to tell you if your temps might be off.

Reactions: rickypicky5

Baelife

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
Okay so her specs are as follows! Everything on the computer is brand new, the computer was just purchased maybe a month or so ago.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX
Ram: G Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Trident Z RGB
SSD/HDD: 1 TB WD Black SN770 PCIE Gen 4 NVMe m.2 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200 RPM 6.0 GB/s
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
PSU: Corsair RM1000X 80 Plus Gold 1000W Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Powder Supply
Chassis: Black Thermaltake AH T600 Full Tower E-ATX Gaming Case
Monitor: 2x Alienware 240Hz 27" Gaming Monitors

The games are all being run from their direct launchers. Warzone being launched from Battle.net, and Fall Guys being launched from Epic Games Launcher. When the games cause the crash, the computer is resetting, almost as if I hit the motherboard reset button. No errors, no blue screen, nothing, just screen goes black for a second or two, and then the screen shows the startup screen as it would normally starting your computer. The computer never fully cycles though, so it doesn't completely shut off or anything, just resets.

Okay so her specs are as follows! Everything on the computer is brand new, the computer was just purchased maybe a month or so ago.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend ATX
Ram: G Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Trident Z RGB
SSD/HDD: 1 TB WD Black SN770 PCIE Gen 4 NVMe m.2 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200 RPM 6.0 GB/s
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
PSU: Corsair RM1000X 80 Plus Gold 1000W Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Powder Supply
Chassis: Black Thermaltake AH T600 Full Tower E-ATX Gaming Case
Monitor: 2x Alienware 240Hz 27" Gaming Monitors

The games are all being run from their direct launchers. Warzone being launched from Battle.net, and Fall Guys being launched from Epic Games Launcher. When the games cause the crash, the computer is resetting, almost as if I hit the motherboard reset button. No errors, no blue screen, nothing, just screen goes black for a second or two, and then the screen shows the startup screen as it would normally starting your computer. The computer never fully cycles though, so it doesn't completely shut off or anything, just resets.
What is the CPU cooler?

gaarrff

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
The fact the PC is totally rebooting and not just sending you to the desktop could mean there is a larger overreaching problem with one or more of the components in the PC. Someone mentioned before asking what the CPU is, this could be a problem with overheating of the cpu but honestly cases like this are almost always either the RAM or PSU. Computers are really weird and as to why it only happens with select games I have no idea. You did the right thing as to switching the games drives but since that did not work i would go up the ladder and re download both games services so Epic and Blizzard and move them to the main drive, then get the games back and see if problem persists. If its still a problem I would usually reset the drives and start on clean drives and try again. Again, Computers are weird and the fact that im typing this and not hands on with the computer is terrible, im really just saying what i have done in the past when facing similar problems. That being said in the past when i had this exact problem it was with the PSU so your last step should be switching out your psu and ram with different ones and seeing if that works. I get all this is pretty much a huge pain in the neck and your problems could be totally different but the method really does work when troubleshooting to any degree, only it takes a while.

Baelife

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
I'll definitely download HW Monitor and watch to see for sure! I was just surprised with, for Warzone for example. I can't even open the game without it resetting the PC. I would think for heat related issues, it would take a bit of time playing for things to heat up beyond limits, then reset. I can go from just turning the computer on after no use for 12+ hours, hit play on battle.net app for warzone, and before the game will even completely open on the screen, it will reset the PC. That was what was surprising me the most. Could overheating happen that instantly?

Baelife

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
Okay here is a video I took just now! I turned the computer on. I have Afterburner open to show the monitor page. I click "Play" to open Warzone, and after a second or so, PC resets. We run FFXIV no problem however, which is what is odd to me. Both installed on the main hard drive. I unplugged the secondary drive to be safe. This is also a fresh install of the game.
View: https://youtu.be/zaLZxvFomAg

Baelife

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
Just wanted to let anyone know incase they come across this thread that I found a solution to the problem. I updated my BIOS version, and that completely solved the issue. Definitely try a BIOS update before anything drastic!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS