I have a brand new PC I built myself.

Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    Gigabyte x470 Gaming 5 Wifi
    GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
    MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6gb OCV1
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
    Windows 10 Home

I have the 2600 overclocked to 3.8 GHz at 1.1375V and I have the RAM set to XMP so it can actually run at 2400 MHz instead of 2133 MHz (the default). I don't know why this keeps happening. Can anyone provide any guidance? I will try to reply tomorrow. Thanks!

Edit 1: It does not appear to be related to stress. Most crashes were while playing GTA V, but that is statistically probable at this point. Some actually happened right after a reboot and some happened while using Chrome.

Solution
iGPU: https://blog.usro.net/how-to-disable-the-onboard-graphics-in-bios/ (every motherboard has some kind of name for it.)

After that , just to make sure it's a instability with clocks, underclock your CPU (3.0 or ...) and RAM (1866 pr ...) all the way down to rule out other stuff like windows.

Keep your voltage at manual, don't change them. Also, your DRAM voltage shouldn't be more than 1.4.

jerrylee22

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016
I'll start super basic and work my way up to what's probably your level. Crashing under load, if not due to heat (which is necessary but easy to monitor), could have to do with the power supply, or the connected cables. If your build, especially with overclocking, requires more wattage than it can deliver, it could crash or far worse... otherwise, make sure your 24-pin, CPU power, and graphics card power cables are fully connected into their sockets and the power supply. Even try replugging them (system off of course).
This is probably patronizing, but you do have a heatsink with properly applied thermal paste on your CPU and you're monitoring the temperatures?

If it's brand new, it shouldn't be dust, but ...
Is your ATX motherboard mounted on standoffs (8 of them) in your case? If it's flexing and touching your case, it could be shorting.
Make sure your CPU retention bracket isn't loose on your motherboard. I've heard that CPUs sometimes can lose just enough contact and crash.

Otherwise, disable your overclocks and see if that helps. Not all equipment can handle the same load, and this will help diagnose the issue.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
https://www.alcpu.com/CoreT

bobdabiulder

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015

Temps are well within spec. Never really peaks above 74c while stress testing, never above 65c while gaming, and normally sits around 35-60c. I have the stock Wraith Stealth cooler and 4 case fans. Stock thermal paste for the CPU fan. I can double check, but everything was secure when I built the PC.

The case had the standoffs preinstalled. The case seems to be anodized/painted, so I doubt it would short if it were flexing.

I have a 450w bronze PSU, which a PCPP list that I havent updated recommends about 310w.

After some thought, I believe this could be a Mobo problem, a RAM problem or a CPU problem. I have hardly touched the GPU, and I do think my Mobo may be defective. Unless I'm mistaken, the x470 Mobo I have should be able to output video. Yet, in Device Manager, the only Display Adapter I see is the 1060, even though the Mobo should be there as well...

I'll double check and verify everything I have said when I get back from work this evening :)

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Hi, first of all, flash the newest MB bios. They usually fix these instabilities. Reset your BIOS. Also, Disable any power-saving modes as well. Like Eco mode or Cool'n'Quiet.

Crashes/Freezes usually mean voltage/overclock instability. Increase you VCore slightly. If it crashes again, increase your DRAM voltage too.

As for no iGPU in your device manager. It's probably disabled inside bios or the driver is not installed. If it's not disabled, Disable it. It can cause problems too. Or you could also increase its voltage.

bobdabiulder

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I flashed the latest BIOS last night without any effect on the problem. I have cool'n'quiet disabled. I'll try increasing voltages, but that will make my machine more hot, since the Wraith Stealth is wimpy (might upgrade soon). How do I enable the integrated graphics? What setting(s) should I look for? I haven't seen any obvious ones.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
iGPU: https://blog.usro.net/how-to-disable-the-onboard-graphics-in-bios/ (every motherboard has some kind of name for it.)

After that , just to make sure it's a instability with clocks, underclock your CPU (3.0 or ...) and RAM (1866 pr ...) all the way down to rule out other stuff like windows.

Keep your voltage at manual, don't change them. Also, your DRAM voltage shouldn't be more than 1.4.

Solution