Computer crashes after startup

Lajitos

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I have a computer that I built for about 4 years now and suddenly its crashing on startup. It started with EFI Shell version 2.31 errors then lead up to just crashing. I have also noticed that whenever I get into the BIOS it seems laggy. Like the mouse jitters and flickers accross the screen. But first things first here are my specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Seagate SV35.6 ST1000VX000 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
EVGA SSC GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155
2x 16gb Ram sticks

I've been tinkering for a few days now on to solve the problem and have done these things-
Change out motherboard battery
Reset the cmos
system restore
Changed out ram sticks.

Personally I think its the hard drive that is the culprit but then again I am not 100% sure.

Solution
If you suspect the hard drive, an easy way to confirm it is to temporarily disconnect the hard drive with the power off, then boot up and try accessing the BIOS. If all is normal in the BIOS, then you've found your culprit. Like Someone Somewhere, though, I kind of doubt the hard drive is causing this.

With the hard drive disconnected, you can also try booting off a Linux LiveCD or USB installer and see if the error persists.

mrfatbox

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
install the msi live updata software and reinstall the current BIOS updat or update it. have found MSI BIOS can be a big funny at times have had to do a few including my own (the fans got stuck at 100% and with a big Gaming Rig it was like a jet on takeoff). any way just a idea.

imrazor

Distinguished
If you suspect the hard drive, an easy way to confirm it is to temporarily disconnect the hard drive with the power off, then boot up and try accessing the BIOS. If all is normal in the BIOS, then you've found your culprit. Like Someone Somewhere, though, I kind of doubt the hard drive is causing this.

With the hard drive disconnected, you can also try booting off a Linux LiveCD or USB installer and see if the error persists.

Solution