Question Computer crashes and shuts down randomly after replacing motherboard.

Jan 23, 2023
I need some help here because I have no idea what's going on. I have an Asus G6-710 desktop and I just swapped out the GPU from a 980 to a 3060, and I traded out the motherboard as well from the original to a Z170M-Plus due to some busted pins on the original. Ever since then it seems like I've been having power supply issues. The computer will randomly shutdown and I can't find any pattern to it. Sometimes it's when I'm playing a game, but more often than not it's when it's just sitting idle. It will just blue screen for less than a second saying it's encountered an error and then will shutdown.

I've ruled out heating issues being the problem, but I can't understand why it would be a PSU issue. The 3060 is supposed to be more efficient and require less voltage than my 980, and my chipset stayed the same on the motherboard. In theory the 730w PSU I've got should be more than enough. The only thing I noticed is that the PSU has a 4 pin connector, while the motherboard wants an 8 pin one. Is the replacement motherboard just less efficient than my old one and I'll need to replace the PSU, or is there another issue I'm not seeing?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I need some help here because I have no idea what's going on. I have an Asus G6-710 desktop and I just swapped out the GPU from a 980 to a 3060, and I traded out the motherboard as well from the original to a Z170M-Plus due to some busted pins on the original. Ever since then it seems like I've been having power supply issues. The computer will randomly shutdown and I can't find any pattern to it. Sometimes it's when I'm playing a game, but more often than not it's when it's just sitting idle. It will just blue screen for less than a second saying it's encountered an error and then will shutdown.

I've ruled out heating issues being the problem, but I can't understand why it would be a PSU issue. The 3060 is supposed to be more efficient and require less voltage than my 980, and my chipset stayed the same on the motherboard. In theory the 730w PSU I've got should be more than enough. The only thing I noticed is that the PSU has a 4 pin connector, while the motherboard wants an 8 pin one. Is the replacement motherboard just less efficient than my old one and I'll need to replace the PSU, or is there another issue I'm not seeing?
Did you do a fresh install of the operating system?