Question Computer crashes, but only during specific games.

Mar 26, 2020
A few days ago, I had Forza Horizon 4 crash on me. It was the first time in a few months of playing religiously, and after I rebooted the game, it continued to crash every 5 to 10 minutes or so. After trying to roll back Nvidia drivers, reinstalling the new ones, reinstalling the game, re-reinstalling the game on a different hard drive, and realizing that Borderlands 3 is also crashing just as frequently, I am having an issue figuring out what is happening.

If I turn my computer off and let everything cool down, I can get the games to last about an hour before they crash, and if I dumb the graphics down, it will add a little more time. However, other games, such as WoW and Doom 2016 work just fine running at 4k. And obviously, less intensive 2d games don't have any sort of effect.

Things I have tried doing.

Everything as mentioned above. (reinstalling games)
Using DDU to completely reinstall graphics drivers.
Rolling back windows as well as updating windows.
Cleaning out my case of dust, as well as cleaning the PSU.
Swapping the 6+2 pins around on my graphics card as well as switching them to other ports on the modular PSU.
Reseating the GPU as well as the RAM.
Manually turning the GPU fans on in the event it was an overheating problem (I think this might have helped the games last longer while testing.)

I am not the most tech savvy person, but I did everything I could before I called EVGA tech support thinking it was a GPU issue. (I recently had to RMA my 1070 and got a refurbed 2070 black in return. Figured it might have been that), and he mentioned that it could be the PSU going faulty. I've had mine for about 5 years and have put it through some work over the years. I have ordered another one, and am expecting it on Monday, so that may be the remedy that I need. But I just thought that I would ask here since most people here probably know more than me. Or have I already answered my own post?

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Specs:
Mobo: ASRock x370
GPU: EVGA 2070 Black
CPU: i5-8600k
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750w
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 GSkill
Memory: EVO 970 240gb, 500gb SSD, 1TB HDD

Mar 26, 2020
Does sound like it is your PSU. When the PSU fails to deliver enough power, the PC crashes or reboots to protect itself. What are your temps? It could also be your wall outlet, try another wall outlet?

Yeah, it's crashed and I've had to restart it by holding the power button, but I haven't had a blue screen.

And my CPU has been in the 40s since I have an AIO, and my GPU has been getting into the 70's until I turned the fans on 50% and it stays in the mid 50s.

As for the wall outlet, that's something I haven't tried. I have it on a power strip, I'll try swapping it to another outlet when I get home.

Mar 26, 2020
UPDATE TO THIS:

This has been a stressful month. I ordered a new PSU and it was DOA so I had to return it.

I ordered another PSU. It did not fix my issue.

I also have gotten 2 new sticks of ram and swapped those in, and that didn't fix it either.

Could it be my graphics card or my mobo? I ordered a new mobo and if that doesn't fix it, I'm going to RMA my GPU because at this point, I have almost built a new computer.

Any additional help would be great. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS