Computer crashes in nearly every game.

Apr 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

I built a new system this year. Since then something is not working right. My games crashes always with error messages like "Access Violation Error" or "can`t access adress". I tried a few steps to solve it. From time to time i had also Blue Screens with messages like "irql not less or equal". The last one was on 08.04.2018, before i had 2 bluescreens a day.

1.) I thougt maybe my RAM is not working right, so i did a memtest over the night and had no errors.
2.) I updatet BIOS.
3.) I reinstalled my whole system a few times
4.) I removed my Soundcard
5.) I removed one of my RAM
6.) I tried another graphic card

The strange part is, normally i can`t play for 20 minutes without a crash so it comes really often. After i removed my soundcard it worked well for about a week and started again. I removed my ram and it worked for a week and started again crashing. Same with the graphic card, i borrowed one from a friend for 3 days and had no problems, build my old one back in my computer, it worked well for one week and today its started again crashing.

I have a few ideas left like testing one hdd or to try different ram slots, but my testing feels really random and i though its time to ask for help, maybe someone had similar Problems?

My Specs:

- Windows 10

Ram:
- 2 x 16GB Corsair ValueSelect DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15 Single

Harddrive:
- 500GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC Toggle (MZ-V6E500BW)
- 1 TB HDD
- SSD 500GB

CPU:
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8x 3.60GHz So.AM4 WOF

GPU:
- Pali4GB D5 X GTX980 Super Jetstream R

Mainboard:
- MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON AMD X370 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Powersupply:
- Aerocool E85M-550 550W ATX

I Have also some logs which i could share but i´m not sure where i should upload them.

If someone could help me to find my problem i would be really grateful.

Thank you.

playstoreupdateft

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
I had a PC too once, but not a gaming PC...just a normal PC...i had same issues like you had...i removed all cards like my wifi adapter, grahphics, sound, hdd, and cdrom, still with no clue to what is happening, even tried reinstalling the system, update bios...

What I did was tried a different motherboard and it all worked fine...dont know why or i have no deep down technical reason to provide...

So i would suggest you to just try a different motherboard to see if u get the same error...

for me ofcourse it worked out...

It was really annoying...for u it crashed playing games...for me it crashed when i tried to open MY COMPUTER LOL....

So just give it a shot and see...check with another motherboard and see if it still persist...if not then you may have to replace your board.

stdragon

Admirable
Download and create a bootable USB thumb drive with MemTest86 V7.5 Free Edition. Let it run multiple passes for 24 hours.
https://www.memtest86.com/

Also check your CPU and GPU thermals to ensure nothing is overheating past its critical rated threshold. HWMonitor is one such utility that will provide a readout.

EDIT: Also review the BSOD mini dump files (dmp files located in C:\Windows\minidump) NirSoft BlueScrewView makes reviewing this a lot easier. If types are are completely random, it's most likely CPU or RAM. However, it's consistent with a driver or error type, the issue is almost assuredly an OS or driver issue.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you don't mind, provide the last 5 error values in both the Bug Check String and Bug Check Code. Also provide a list of the files that are immediately impacted by this; you will see them highlighted in the details list below.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
It is the motherboard. These AM4 motherboards are really a "box of chocolates". I worked with 4 of these AM4 boards in the past 6 months, 2 of the 4 failed in various way. One of them is very much like what you described. Brand does not seem to matter either. I don't know whatever happened to quality control.

Apr 30, 2018
@BringerOfTea
You are right i edited my post and addet my powersupply.

@playstoreupdateft, @nobspls
I was thinking about this, but i have no chance to test another one because its AM4 and its my first motherboard with this socket. I can send it back on warranty, but i want to be sure on this one before i send it back.

@stdragon
I was running memtest86, but for about 12 hours. When you think it was not enough, I will give it a new shot this night.
dmp File:
Bug Scheck String: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code: 0x00000050
Parameter 1: fffff285`a7628610
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3: fffff806`0627f117
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000002
Caused by Driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by Address: ntoskrnl.exe+175510
Crash Adress: ntoskrnl.exe+175510

Thank you a lot guys.

stdragon

Admirable

Yup, looks like the result of a bit flip.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x50--page-fault-in-nonpaged-area

Also, run a chkdsk /f command to scan and correct any potential NTFS errors you might have. Be sure you have a backup of your data as a precaution (standard operating procedure and all that)

playstoreupdateft

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
@j4k3
I would suggest you try some of the few options as per the advice of some members here...if you still get no luck...then send it back since you have warranty left...make sure you don't fiddle too much and make any sort of physical damages as u will be unable to claim warranty...once your done with everything send it back and ask them that you need to check the motherboard...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

super low end psu

replace it on principe

stdragon

Admirable
It's rare that the CPU would need to be reinstalled. But if there's dust or a piece of lint in the way, it might be enough to cause an intermittent issue.

Do not touch the CPU or socket contact pins. A few bursts with can of compressed air should suffice.

Apr 30, 2018
@nobspls, @maxalge
I agree on this one. It´s old i kept it from my previous build and i will buy later a new one.

@mdd1963
I´m running it with 2133 Mhz and i have only 1 ram plugged at the moment. What i did is i removed my last one and plugged the another one inside my computer.
At the moment I´m running without crashes, but i have to test it for a while because after a hardware change my pc worked well for one / two weeks and then starts again crashing.

@ohiou_grad_2006
At the moment I can`t really say if it is the mainboard. A friend of mine built also a new system and he has 0 issues and i go crazy finding my error.

@stdragon
I was really careful. It wasn´t my first built system. But your right maybe something went inside you never know.

Thank you a lot for this many replies.I never expected so many replies. I will make the suggested tests and will update this thread when its solved and how i solved it. Like I said before it has to be watched over a specific time to make sure it`s really gone.

Apr 30, 2018
It's a little bit late but I solved the Problem. I met with a friend who has a similiar Setup (different Mainboard) and we switched components. At the end the RAM was not working in my Setup (worked without Problems in his) and i bought a new one. Now I have:

- 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

Everything works fine. Thanks a lot for your support guys.