Question Computer crashes, Kernel Power 41, not Overheat, recently replaced PSU.

TheSonikku

Reputable
May 21, 2016
PC crashes directly, just suddenly shuts off, with no previous warning. My last PSU seemed to work fine before this problem was happening, but then the 5V voltage started going beyond 6V and forcing it to crash due to that.

I replaced my old 800W GPU in hopes the new one (just 600W) would help, but alas it just crashed again. Twice. It took longer, however, since the PC hadn’t been on for a while.

For extra information:
  • The crashes are random but seem to get shorter and shorter the more often I turn the PC back on, to the point of the PC not turning on at all after a certain threshold. Waiting long enough usually gives it time to not crash again.
  • It CAN crash in the BIOS.
  • Temperatures are ALWAYS below 55 degrees Celsius. It’s incredibly unlikely it’s a temperature problem.
  • I have an UPS; Haven’t tried turning it on without the UPS after my new PSU.
  • My MOBO is somewhat old but my CPU is significantly older. Around 6-7 years for the CPU.
  • I have 1 Ultrawide Screen, and quite a few connected USB things, I also have a RGB mouse and keyboard.
My computer includes:
  • 16GB of GDDR3 RAM
  • 600W, ~75% efficiency PSU
  • GTX 1660 Geforce Phoenix (6GB)
  • 1 TB of HD (almost full)
  • 480 GB of SSD (empty)
  • AMD FX 8350 Octo-core CPU
  • M5A78L-M ASUS MOBO

Last edited:

TheSonikku

Reputable
May 21, 2016
PC crashes directly, just suddenly shuts off, with no previous warning. My last PSU seemed to work fine before this problem was happening, but then the 5V voltage started going beyond 6V and forcing it to crash due to that.

I replaced my old 800W GPU in hopes the new one (just 600W) would help, but alas it just crashed again. Twice. It took longer, however, since the PC hadn’t been on for a while.

For extra information:
  • The crashes are random but seem to get shorter and shorter the more often I turn the PC back on, to the point of the PC not turning on at all after a certain threshold. Waiting long enough usually gives it time to not crash again.
  • It CAN crash in the BIOS.
  • Temperatures are ALWAYS below 55 degrees Celsius. It’s incredibly unlikely it’s a temperature problem.
  • I have an UPS; Haven’t tried turning it on without the UPS after my new PSU.
  • My MOBO is somewhat old but my CPU is significantly older. Around 6-7 years for the CPU.
  • I have 1 Ultrawide Screen, and quite a few connected USB things, I also have a RGB mouse and keyboard.
My computer includes:
  • 16GB of GDDR3 RAM
  • 600W, ~75% efficiency PSU
  • GTX 1660 Geforce Phoenix (6GB)
  • 1 TB of HD (almost full)
  • 480 GB of SSD (empty)
  • AMD FX 8300 Octo-core CPU
  • M5A78L-M ASUS MOBO
Update: New PSU now also has the same 5V going over 6V crashing problem. Nice.

TheSonikku

Reputable
May 21, 2016
Update 2: Tried connecting to another, much further away outlet, still connected to the UPS, same problem. Stayed on fine for about 20 minutes when suddenly the 5V was at around ~6.5V displayed on the BIOS.
Update 3: PC was sent to technician, they left it on with both PSUs for 2 days and it didn’t crash at all. No problems. Connected directly to the outlet. I bought a new voltage stabilizer, plugged it with a new power cord, both grounded, it worked for ~1 hour then ASUS Anti-Surge kicked in; BIOS says 5V voltage is fluctuating between 5 and 7 constantly. Could it be an electrical wiring issue? Could it be the MOBO sensor? Should I disable Anti-Surge?

TRENDING THREADS