Computer crashes repeatedly at random times - how do I troubleshoot, after removing most of the hardware I can remove?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 2, 2018
My computer reboots repeatedly (or maybe crashes repeatedly is more accurate), sometimes after a few seconds and sometimes up to an hour later. Sometimes in mid boot and sometimes after Windows has launched.

I've tried removing the wifi card, the graphics card, a fan, both hard drives, all USB connected devices, one monitor (and switched the other monitor to HDMI instead of Display Port).

Also cleaned the computer on the inside while I was at it.

The computer even crashed after a while when it didn't have any hard drives installed and it had stated (rightly so) that there was no bootable device. I just waited for a few minutes, instead of accessing the BIOS settings, and it crashed.

I would assume that means it's not a driver problem (although the mouse and keyboard are working at that point, so maybe...), it's definitely not a Windows problem since the hard drive was disconnected.

How can I know which hardware is causing the problem? My guess, after removing all those things, is that this is either the motherboard or the power supply unit. Or is it possible that it's something else?

More info
I don't know a lot about the computer.
It was custom made for work in animation.
Gigabit motherboard
Nvidia k2000 graphics card
No hardware has been changed recently
Wifi has been acting up a bit recently... nothing terrible, just didn't connect a few times without restarting the router (other devices on the same router worked fine)

Nov 2, 2018

Alright, thank you so much for your help.
I am going to sleep on it and maybe buy a power supply tomorrow.

Nov 2, 2018

I ended up taking the computer to Best Buy, who took a look at it and said that it was the motherboard.

Nov 2, 2018

They just told me that it wouldn't be worth it to replace it.
I guess they don't really do that (or I don't know enough about it).
Since I don't know how to build a custom computer myself, and don't have the time to learn to do it, I guess I'd rather buy another computer and move some of the components (graphics card, memory and hard drives).

When the motherboard is not working, does that still mean that I could take the CPU or any expensive components and move to a new motherboard?

Yes, with a compatible motherboard you can reuse all of the components. Replacing a motherboard isn't that hard. There are two power connectors, and nine screws (for an ATX motherboard). And then you have the miscellaneous fan connectors, SATA cable connectors, front panel connectors, ect.)

After that you have to install drivers and Windows.

Here is a video. It is a new build video, but it still would apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAelSOF6f0

But if you prefer to just buy a new system, that is fine too.

Nov 2, 2018

If I want to go for it and buy a new motherboard, what would I have to look out for in order to be able to reuse other components?
I know the memory might not work for every motherboard, but I have no idea how to know if it works.

Basically you want to look for another motherboard of the same series. That way it will have the same CPU socket and same RAM requirements. The SATA will not be an issue, so the drives will work fine regardless. The fan connectors are standard. Most likely the CPU cooler will work to, but there is some variation between motherboard manufacturers, so it may require an adapter or different base plate.

So look for a Z87 series motherboard (it comes with a LGA 1150 CPU socket). Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Motherboard-GA-Z87X-D3H-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07GRHN4K2/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1541464818&sr=1-3&keywords=z87&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A16907720011

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFVV7KP4234

TRENDING THREADS