Computer crashes restarts with bios then crashes again.

SKullFinger

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
So this has been happening for a while and I thought it was a windows issue so I reset my computer which I was thinking about doing anyways. My computer stops using or applying connection or power to anything coming out of it. The gpu still has its lights on and the fans are still spinning and my network card is still lighting up but not blinking. My keyboard and mouse both stop emitting light and my monitors both turn off. My microphone and headphones stop aswell. When this happens it stops and my fans slow down. Then they start to speed up again and my bios starts to open, but then it just crashes again and stays on like it was before with nothing from the io working, but it just stays on. The only way I can shut it off is my turning the switch on the power supply. Not sure what the issue is. Im thinking maybe temperature.

Solution
Well from your description I would expect some significant hardware issue - most likely the power supply from the age of your PC.

Start by disconnecting everything you can, so it is just PC, keyboard, mouse, monitor - any improvement?

Beyond that, do you have an alternative PSU you can fit?

You could also try taking out some of the RAM (make sure you leave the correct slots occupied for your mobo) and also the GPU, if your mobo/cpu supports it

SKullFinger

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

AMD FX 8350
GTX 970
16 GB DDR3 RAM

I've had the computer for a total of about 8 years now with upgrades along the way. My last upgrade was my cpu and that was about 2 maybe 3 years ago. Last anti virus scan was yesterday with malwarebytes.

snowctrl

Distinguished
Well from your description I would expect some significant hardware issue - most likely the power supply from the age of your PC.

Start by disconnecting everything you can, so it is just PC, keyboard, mouse, monitor - any improvement?

Beyond that, do you have an alternative PSU you can fit?

You could also try taking out some of the RAM (make sure you leave the correct slots occupied for your mobo) and also the GPU, if your mobo/cpu supports it

Solution

snowctrl

Distinguished

Possibly.... if the issues started from the time you installed that, then very likely. The easy way to tell, is simply to disconnect that particular device and see whether things improve....?