Computer crashes then memory is missing

Mar 3, 2018
I have a fairly new pc that has started to crash when running memory intensive games. I have 4 sticks of ddr4 8 gb installed on my Asia tuff x299 mark 2 board. After a hard reboot from a crash the bios and windows displays only 24 gb of ram. When I put only two sticks in the motherboard, everything runs fine. I have tried all sticks, and the computer only crashes when using 32 go of ram. I have run memtest86 on all sticks but have only tried the recommended two stick and four stick configuration. Should I try using the all black slots. Instead of the grey? Should I turn on xmp? I don't want to rma my board if I can avoid it. Using i7 7820x processor. Gskill rip jaw 3000.

Mar 3, 2018
3000c15s is the part number and they are all from the same kit. I have ran memtest86 for 3 runs on all sticks with no errors. I just noticed the voltage at 1.2 and turned on xmp since that is the voltage that the ram is designed to run. If it crashes I'll bump it up as you suggested.

1.2v indicates that the ram is running at default speeds.
CPU-Z will tell you what your ram is running at and what it is capable of.
Look at the memory and spd tabs.

A motherboard must manage all the ram at the same specs and voltage.
Sometimes, that is harder to do when more than two sticks are involved.

If one of the XMP profiles do not work for you, you can try setting the individual speed and cas numbers like the XMP says, and increasing the voltage a touch from 1.35 to 1.37.

You may also want to contact g.skil with your particular specs and problem.
They know their products and can give you more expert advice than this forum.
If it is determined that the ram is not operating to spec, that is where the rma process will start.

Mar 3, 2018
I am pretty sure I have located a bad socket. I was playing ww2 yesterday and got a irql not equal or less error. I broke it down to two sticks and ran it again. Got the same crash. Broke it down to one then it would not boot. Used that same stick and stick it I another slot and it ran fine. Sip my question now is I'd rather not send the board back because of the hassle. I know I don't need 32. I have a i7 7820x on Asia tuff mark 2 which recommends using a certain configuration with six core and above for quad channel. It recommends c1 d1 a1 and b1 slots. B1 does not work. Can I run the sticks in c2 c1 d1 and d2 and d1 with an 8 core. That configuration is recommended for 4 core. Or is there any other config I can use with all sticks while avoiding b1 slot? I know it won't be quad channel but I don't care.

I am guessing that a/b/c/d represents the 4 possible channels and 1/2 represents the possibility of 1 or 2 sticks.

Since B1 does not work, can you try a2/b2/c2/d2?

Any combo that you can get to work will be OK.
If it all needs to work in dual channel mode, that is not all bad.
CPU-Z will tell you how many channels you are using.

In the event that you end up with 24gb on one channel and 8gb on another,
16gb will operate in dual channel mode and the odd ram will be single channel.