[SOLVED] Computer crashes to black screen during games (plus one other question)

Jun 23, 2019
First, thanks in advance for your help. I've been searching a lot on my own for quite some time, but I've come up fruitless. Also, I apologize that this might not be a CPU issue, but I was unsure where else to list it.

1.) During some games (rarely during Overwatch, every time 1-3 minutes in while playing Witcher 3 and previously with Just Cause 3 and FFXV), my computer will instantly reboot. Just black screen and reset.

• Windows 10, 64-bit
  • 24 GB RAM
  • AMD FX-4130 quad core 3.80 GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Some things I've tried:
  • Very thorough cleaning of all fans and heat sinks - there was a lot of junk in there
  • Reapplying thermal paste to CPU
  • Underclocking GPU (have never overclocked) by 80 MHz (this was a crazy solution that solved the FFXV issue)
  • Uninstalling graphics driver, uninstalling GeForce Experience, manually installing driver (read that installing using Experience can be a bad...experience)
  • Uninstalled VIA HD Audio(Win 10), which I read could cause audio conflicts and could crash the computer
  • Set BIOS beep on CPU temp of 70ºC - it beeped and then crashed about half a minute later and this was before I did a thorough cleaning...didn't notice a beep afterward, but it still crashed
  • Monitored all temps as best as I could by tabbing and viewing HWMonitor - nothing jumped out at me (GPU temp dropped from ~71ºC prior to cleaning to ~63ºC after)
  • Various stability fixes recommended for Witcher 3
I'm seriously stumped. Then, on top of that, there's this other problem. It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I can't find a solution.

2.) About 20% of the time when starting up the computer, but 100% of the time after a crash as described above, I won't get the "everything's ok!" beep on startup. I get no beep code. The monitor power light is on for about 10 seconds, then flashes on and off and there's no display. I have to unplug the computer for about 15 seconds and then when I plug it back in and power on, it works.

Solution
What is the make/model of your power supply (PSU)? This sounds suspiciously like a failing power supply (the unplugging "fix" is the clue).
Jun 23, 2019
Sorry, don't mean for this to be like pulling teeth for information. Here are the specs:

0sVPjeh.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
I realize I'm posting multiple times. I looked at an article about failing PSUs, and this really does look like it. That's one thing I've neglected to clean. I'll give that a try and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for making that suggestion. I've never thought about it as a possibility.

Jun 23, 2019
Alright, I cracked open the PSU and cleaned it out. There was a small amount of dust in there, but not a lot. (I would've expected more after 5 years of use.) I started up the game and got to play for 5+ minutes before it crashed. The monitor light flashed upon restart.

I've seen that there are ways to test a PSU with a multimeter (which I have) and with a special tool that allows each set of pins to be inserted (which I don't have). Will either solution diagnose if the PSU is operational but failing? Is there any other way to tell aside from just replacing the thing? Thanks again.

Power supplies can be marginal at higher loads, yet be otherwise "not broken". You can't really test for that without expensive equipment (total failure is easy to find, marginal behavior at high loads is not). Power supplies do get worse over time in some cases (anything with capacitors can get worse over time). I have no proof at all, but it sure sounds like a power supply issue.

Jun 23, 2019
Power supplies can be marginal at higher loads, yet be otherwise "not broken". You can't really test for that without expensive equipment (total failure is easy to find, marginal behavior at high loads is not). Power supplies do get worse over time in some cases (anything with capacitors can get worse over time). I have no proof at all, but it sure sounds like a power supply issue.
Thanks for the information. I ordered the one above last night.