[SOLVED] Computer crashes when not playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2019
Hi

I've been having trouble with my laptop ever since I bought it. It started crashing right out of the box. Crashed 3 times during the windows install process. I've reinstalled windows but that didn't help. I can play most games just fine. But some games will still allow the pc to crash. Downloading games trough steam or origin allows me to use it normally. One of my harddrives died a while back. And it stopped crashing on me. But when I replaced with another one the problems started again. The harddrive I put in is another brand. And it was used.
I've updated the bios to no avail

It's an Acer Aspire V5-591G-58UV
Windows 10 Home
i5-6300HQ
8gb ram
Nvidia geforce gtx 950m

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I can do to make this piece of **** work?

Last edited:
Solution
I suggest looking at the event viewer. See what the system was doing before each crash.

Have you updated the drivers as well as the BIOS?

For the GPU I might suggest sticking with the driver Acer has on their site for it. Sometimes the generic drivers clash with custom GPU settings set by OEMs. (Though most of the time it is fine to download direct from Nvidia)

You can pick up the latest Intel graphics drivers without much fear, that can solve issues.

Whatever sound chipset you have, you can also seek out from the manufacturer.

Motherboard and the rest of the system drivers, best to come from Acer.

Another fun one, try running without the battery. Glitches there...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suggest looking at the event viewer. See what the system was doing before each crash.

Have you updated the drivers as well as the BIOS?

For the GPU I might suggest sticking with the driver Acer has on their site for it. Sometimes the generic drivers clash with custom GPU settings set by OEMs. (Though most of the time it is fine to download direct from Nvidia)

You can pick up the latest Intel graphics drivers without much fear, that can solve issues.

Whatever sound chipset you have, you can also seek out from the manufacturer.

Motherboard and the rest of the system drivers, best to come from Acer.

Another fun one, try running without the battery. Glitches there can cause interesting problems.

Used hard drives, I suppose you never really know. Event logs might help with that. But also try running a tool like CrystalDisk Info. Should reveal the health of the drive.

Solution
Oct 18, 2019
Couldn't find anything useful in the event viewer. A lot of events. But quite a few different ones. I've updated all the drivers. But that didn't help. That's why I'm here asking for help. I'll try using acer drivers when I have some spare time.
I can't run without the battery without disassembling the laptop as it's a built in battery. I tried running without the charger connected yesterday and that appeared to work. But the performance took a massive hit. The harddrive I put in it was one that came from one of my old laptops. I formatted and checked the disc before installing it. What really bothers me is that it worked like a charm with a dead drive and without a drive. But after I installed the used one the problem returned. And it works like it should when downloading games trough services such as steam

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Could be a temperature issue. You should start monitoring for that.

It could very well be the connection between the computer and the hard drive slot. Intermittent connection, temperature increase makes it expand, and then a crash.

The event viewer should have things like an unexpected shut down occurred. You would want to look at the messages just before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.